+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing of PR Card

zymorian

Jul 8, 2013
Hi all,

My PR card will be expiring Aug 2019. I'm currently outside Canada and wants to renew my PR before I leave Canada again (RO is another question but for simplicity let's just assume RO is not within the scope of this posting)

Questions I have that I hope folks here can help me with are:

1) Understand I need to be in Canada physically to renew my card? Can I ever submit my application while outside Canada?

2a) If I do submit my application for renewal while in Canada, can I leave the country again and return (with my old PR card) when the NEW card is ready? assuming that the old card hasn't expired.

2b) assuming the same scenario in 2a above, can I even return to Canada to pick up my new card after my OLD card has expired?

Many thanks! Appreciate your advice.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well with different views

1)the rules state that you need to apply for a card in Canada in part due to the fact that IRCC will only mail a card to a Canadian address. Having said that technically not sure apart from postage on an envelope there is anything stopping someone sending an application in from outside Canada other than misrepresenting yourself in the application by implying your current address from where you are applying from or living at is in Canada if it is not..

Also in applying from outside Canada there is always the risk that someone is called in to collect a new card in person not so easy as (2b) if card is expired already and a third party cannot collect on your behalf.

2a)Sure you can do that provided your old card is still valid as there are no checks leaving just on coming back to board a plane.

2b)you can do that as well but to fly back you would need to get a PRTD or alternatively cross the US/Canada land border with your expired card

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

Last edited:
Reactions: zymorian