+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing driving licence

tatoon

Jul 27, 2015
Hi,

I got the PR over 3 years ago. I came with a German driving licence, and when I arrived to Canada I got a Canadian driving licence (and I kept my German licence).

After a year I left Canada and didn't renew my Canadian licence.

Recently I came back and at the SAAQ (MTO) I was told that I can't renew my old Canadian licence, that I have to give my German licence in order to get a valid Canadian licence.

I don't want to lose my German licence (a. I have permit for other vehicles that Canada doesn't give me. b. I plan to go back to Europe).
Do I really need to give my licence? First time when I moved to Canada I didn't have to give it, I was allowed to keep it.

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi,

I got the PR over 3 years ago. I came with a German driving licence, and when I arrived to Canada I got a Canadian driving licence (and I kept my German licence).

After a year I left Canada and didn't renew my Canadian licence.

Recently I came back and at the SAAQ (MTO) I was told that I can't renew my old Canadian licence, that I have to give my German licence in order to get a valid Canadian licence.

I don't want to lose my German licence (a. I have permit for other vehicles that Canada doesn't give me. b. I plan to go back to Europe).
Do I really need to give my licence? First time when I moved to Canada I didn't have to give it, I was allowed to keep it.

Thanks.
1. Yes, if you want to drive in Canada you have surrender your German license. It should have been taken from you when you got your original license.
2. If you return to Germany then you swap your Quebec DL for a new German one. You have to tell the German authorities that you previously held a German DL. and you should get the exact same license as you previously had.

tatoon

Jul 27, 2015
Hi

1. Yes, if you want to drive in Canada you have surrender your German license. It should have been taken from you when you got your original license.
2. If you return to Germany then you swap your Quebec DL for a new German one. You have to tell the German authorities that you previously held a German DL. and you should get the exact same license as you previously had.
Thanks for the reply.

One follow up question.

How do Canadian citizens who live abroad drive in Canada when they come to visit?

I'm not a citizen, just PR, but that's my case. If I travel to Canada from time to time, how can I drive without exchanging the licence?

Paradoxically, once my PR expires I will be able to drive without issues.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Thanks for the reply.

One follow up question.

How do Canadian citizens who live abroad drive in Canada when they come to visit?

I'm not a citizen, just PR, but that's my case. If I travel to Canada from time to time, how can I drive without exchanging the licence?

1. Depending on the province, you can drive on a foreign license for between 3 and 6 months.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Thanks for the reply.

One follow up question.

Hi,
As you said yourself, canadian citizen living abroad when they visit Canada they do not have to change their driver license. If you are just visiting Canada you don't have to change your driver license. You can drive in Canada up to three months with your driver license, because you are just visiting and Canada is not your place of residency anymore even for Canadian citizens visiting Canada.In your case, you are a Canadian PR and Canada is supposed to be your Country of residency not Germany anymore. You are not visiting Canada that's why after three months of driving with your Germany's license you have to give it up.This is the only option you have. Your PR status does not expire but your PR card does. When your PR card expires you are still a PR.

Last edited:

tatoon

Jul 27, 2015
Hi,
As you said yourself, canadian citizen living abroad when they visit Canada they do not have to change their driver license. If you are just visiting Canada you don't have to change your driver license. You can drive in Canada up to three months with your driver license, because you are just visiting and Canada is not your place of residency anymore even for Canadian citizens visiting Canada.In your case, you are a Canadian PR and Canada is supposed to be your Country of residency not Germany anymore. You are not visiting Canada that's why after three months of driving with your Germany's license you have to give it up.This is the only option you have. Your PR status does not expire but your PR card does. When your PR card expires you are still a PR.
Thanks for the information.

I was in Canada during December and I was told I could drive up to 6 months with my German licence.

I left and then came back again some months later, but the 6 months are up. Can I get another 6 months now that I'm here again?

I don't reside in Canada, I'm just staying temporarily visiting (no job, income, property, etc. in Canada) and I will leave again in few weeks.

Again, thanks for your help.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Thanks for the information.

I was in Canada during December and I was told I could drive up to 6 months with my German licence.

I left and then came back again some months later, but the 6 months are up. Can I get another 6 months now that I'm here again?

I don't reside in Canada, I'm just staying temporarily visiting (no job, income, property, etc. in Canada) and I will leave again in few weeks.

Again, thanks for your help.
If you are just visiting for short period of time you don't have to change your driver license. You can still use your German license during your time of visite. If you decide to definitely live here you will need to give up your German license. Remember you need to meet your RO to keep your PR status. In Alberta if I am not wrong you can drive up to 3 months with your home driver license if you are a visitor.