+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewed passport after COPR

kollynz_an

May 15, 2018
Hi, in my case I sent an email to my visa office (Accra Visa Office), and they asked me to send my old and new passport and COPR for reissuance at a fee of CAD30. It was done within 24 days. The old visa was cancelled, and a new visa was issued on the new passport as well as a new COPR.

Some people on this forum say u can travel with the new passport and old passport containing the visa, but I sent mine for reissuance because I dont want to take any chances.

I hope I have been able to help.

Regards.

Reactions: brij patel

S17

May 29, 2018
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
22-09-2018
Hi, in my case I sent an email to my visa office (Accra Visa Office), and they asked me to send my old and new passport and COPR for reissuance at a fee of CAD30. It was done within 24 days. The old visa was cancelled, and a new visa was issued on the new passport as well as a new COPR.

Some people on this forum say u can travel with the new passport and old passport containing the visa, but I sent mine for reissuance because I dont want to take any chances.

I hope I have been able to help.

Regards.
Thank you for your kind response. I appreciate you taking time out to revert. I have also written to my visa office. Just hope to get a response soon. Thanks again!

Mar 13, 2019
posed the question to IRCC (whether immigrants can renew passports after issuance of COPR and make a landing on renewed passport along with original COPR)? The Case specific Enquiry (CSE) was answered by IRCC's London office having email LDMIMMIGRATION@international.gc.ca as following:

"Provided that your personal details have remained the same, you may use the permanent residence documents issued to you. You will be required to present your renewed passport along with your existing passport at Port of Entry in Canada. Sincerely,"

Therefore, one can simply get the passport renewed without having to get the COPR amended and carry both the previous passport & renewed passport at time of landing. Only if your personal details (name, age etc) differs on your renewed passport , you ll be required to have COPR updated or amended as the case be; of course this shall be very very rare.

Hoping someone will find this useful.

tirthankarg

May 21, 2019
posed the question to IRCC (whether immigrants can renew passports after issuance of COPR and make a landing on renewed passport along with original COPR)? The Case specific Enquiry (CSE) was answered by IRCC's London office having email LDMIMMIGRATION@international.gc.ca as following:

"Provided that your personal details have remained the same, you may use the permanent residence documents issued to you. You will be required to present your renewed passport along with your existing passport at Port of Entry in Canada. Sincerely,"

Therefore, one can simply get the passport renewed without having to get the COPR amended and carry both the previous passport & renewed passport at time of landing. Only if your personal details (name, age etc) differs on your renewed passport , you ll be required to have COPR updated or amended as the case be; of course this shall be very very rare.

Hi Excel Immigration, I am in the same boat and plan to travel early next month with my daughter's old and new passport with IMMIGRANT visa on the old passport. However since the 2 passport numbers are linked, there shouldn't be any issue. However is it possible for you to please share a copy of the email from IRCC's London office that you are referring to? For safety purposes, I would like to keep a printout of that email which will help me in case I face any questions upon landing

My email id is tirthankarg@yahoo.com. Your kind help in this regard will be highly appreciated and will be of great help to me and my family

S17

May 29, 2018
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
22-09-2018
Hi, just saw your post, could you please guide how you handled this situation? I hv gt my COPR but my passport will have a validity of 4 months when i travel. Hence i want to renew it but not sure about whether its a right thing to do. M confused on Whether to get it renewed in India or in Canada. Will i be allowed to travel with 4 month validity.
For the benefit of rest.. updating the thread.. I traveled with my passport having less than 6 months validity and i was fine.. didn’t face any issue at Canadian or Indian immigration.. Regards, Shilpa

Jordan_10

Star Member
Jun 19, 2019
Australia
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
3rd April 2019
AOR Received.
3rd April 2019
Passport Req..
03-10-2019
VISA ISSUED...
23-10-2019
For the benefit of rest.. updating the thread.. I traveled with my passport having less than 6 months validity and i was fine.. didn’t face any issue at Canadian or Indian immigration.. Regards, Shilpa

Hi Shilpa

Was your passport valid for more than 6 month when they requested your passport or was issued a CoPR??

S17

May 29, 2018
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
22-09-2018
Hi Shilpa

Was your passport valid for more than 6 month when they requested your passport or was issued a CoPR??
Hi, yes the passport at the time of Visa stamping was valid fr more than 6 months..

brij patel

Nov 5, 2019
Dear Sir/Madam,

This is in response to your recent email enquiry to the Immigration Section of the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi.

If you have a valid visa for Canada in your full or expired passport, and you have been issued a new passport, you may continue to use the visa in your full or expired passport, but you will need to travel with both your new passport and the passport with the valid visa when you travel to Canada.

To avoid the necessity of travelling with both your full or expired passport and your new passport, you may wish to have the visa in your full or expired passport cancelled and a replacement visa (with the same validity) placed in your new passport. There is a fee for this service. The current fee for replacement or re-issuance of an immigration document can be found at this link on our website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/fees.asp#other. Submit the forms and fees to VFS. Visit the website links below for instructions at www.canada.ca/immigration.

Please note Canada does not require that your passport be valid for six months from the date of your intended visit to Canada. However, if you intend to travel onwards to a third country which does require six months passport validity, you will need to ensure your travel document meets the entry requirements of that country before you travel to Canada.

Sincerely,

Client Service Unit, Migration | Unité du Service à la clientele, migration

High Commission of Canada in India | Haut commissariat du Canada en Inde

Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

fahdmirza215

Jan 22, 2020

Hi, I am from Pakistan and in exactly the same boat. I have renewed the passport and in a fix how to update the details on copr and restamp visa on new passport. I have sent email to LDNIMMIGRATION as well, but they have not replied. Can you please guide in how many days you got the above reply ?
I think if we get the above reply in email then I need not change anything and just carry the hardcopy of email with me during travel.
Would be grateful for your support and reply.

MVermaRB

Feb 24, 2020
Hi guys, I have one query... I am going to travel on my passport with valid COPr (valid till august) by end of June and passport is getting expired in October beginning.. so means less than 6 months validity to passport expiry on the time of travel... any idea will this cause any issue ???

I was unable to renew it due to corona close down and now less time left...

any thoughts!! Thanks!