+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewed passport after COPR

hmashru

Feb 19, 2017
Hello,

I am based in India and have received my COPR, the validity of which is till June-2018.

My passport was expiring in November-2018, so I went ahead and got it renewed.

My immigrant visa is on the old passport and the COPR has old passport details. Do I need to submit the new passport and get my details updated?

VFS said there is no clarification on this issue and that I should email the Delhi office.

I wrote to the immigration office in Delhi and am awaiting their response since a month.

What should I do? Should I re-submit both the passports and get the immigrant visa and COPR transferred to the new one?

Has anyone else faced this issue?

Please help.

Last edited:

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I am based in India and have received my COPR, the validity of which is till June-2018.

My passport was expiring in November-2018, so I went ahead and got it renewed.

My immigrant visa is on the old passport and the COPR has old passport details. Do I need to submit the new passport and get my details updated?

VFS said there is no clarification on this issue and that I should email the Delhi office.

I wrote to the immigration office in Delhi and am awaiting their response since a month.

What should I do? Should I re-submit both the passports and get the immigrant visa and COPR transferred to the new one?

Has anyone else faced this issue?

Please help.
99% sure it shouldnt be an issue... carry both passports with you when you're travelling

I'm amazed Indian passport they allowed you to renew 1 year in advance, they never tend to make any exceptions and usually only renew 6 months before expiry.

Just to give you an idea - I've an american visit visa on my old passport, since I ran out of pages on that had to apply for a new one... So whenever I travel to US, I take both passports, show them the visa on the old one, then they verify and stamp the new one... It should be something similar even with your CoPR visa.

Good luck.

hmashru

Feb 19, 2017
99% sure it shouldnt be an issue... carry both passports with you when you're travelling

I'm amazed Indian passport they allowed you to renew 1 year in advance, they never tend to make any exceptions and usually only renew 6 months before expiry.

Just to give you an idea - I've an american visit visa on my old passport, since I ran out of pages on that had to apply for a new one... So whenever I travel to US, I take both passports, show them the visa on the old one, then they verify and stamp the new one... It should be something similar even with your CoPR visa.

Good luck.
Hey, thank you for the response.

The Indian government is now allowing renewals up to 1 year before expiry.

I read on some forums that it is better to submit the new passport and COPR updated.

I am not sure now and don't want to take the risk landing there and not being allowed. :p

Baahubali

May 18, 2017
Hey, thank you for the response.

The Indian government is now allowing renewals up to 1 year before expiry.

I read on some forums that it is better to submit the new passport and COPR updated.

I am not sure now and don't want to take the risk landing there and not being allowed. :p
It is a somewhat tricky situation since they will keep records as per your passport number. I would get the CoPR updated with latest passport details and the immigrant visa restamped on new passport to be on safe side. Again...its just my opinion.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
Your CoPR will not be updated just because you renewed your passport. Same for the visa stamp, it will not be updated or transferred to the new passport. Go ahead and renew your passport and carry both passports with you when you land and there will be no problems. Good luck!

Reactions: tobs

bible

Oct 3, 2012
Your CoPR will not be updated just because you renewed your passport. Same for the visa stamp, it will not be updated or transferred to the new passport. Go ahead and renew your passport and carry both passports with you when you land and there will be no problems. Good luck!
what if the new passport number is different from the old one? will your solution of carrying both passports still work? Won't the airline staff challenge you before boarding?

BreakingBad

Oct 3, 2015
Mexico
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mexico VO
NOC Code......
what if the new passport number is different from the old one? will your solution of carrying both passports still work? Won't the airline staff challenge you before boarding?
Yes it will work.
If you want you can contact the embassy and get clarification. Send a mail to the mailid mentioned in your Ready For Visa mail.

bible

Oct 3, 2012
Yes it will work.
If you want you can contact the embassy and get clarification. Send a mail to the mailid mentioned in your Ready For Visa mail.
Thanks. However, it was VFS Global who processed my application, and the mail id is a do-not-reply email address.

bible

Oct 3, 2012
As a follow up, I am posting the excerpted answer from Embassy of Canada in Ireland.
TBH I don't think the answer helpful.

Good morning,

Canadian permanent residents must travel on a VALID PR Card or PR travel document to Canada. You will be denied boarding otherwise.

Visa and immigration services for residents of Ireland are provided by the High Commission and the Visa Application Centre in London, England. The Canadian Embassy in Dublin does not handle any visa applications or processing. As such we are unable to provide any additional advice or information in regards to the application process.

For Information regarding obtaining a Permanent Reside Card please visit http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp

For information on applying for a Permanent Resident Travel Document please see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

Darren198888

Apr 1, 2017
You have to send back your Copr with your new passport information and they issue you a new one.im going through it right now..

binastie

Jun 21, 2018
You have to send back your Copr with your new passport information and they issue you a new one.im going through it right now..
Hi,

Can you expantiate on this a bit?
my passport expires in september and i only got my request letter today. I am planning to get a passport before the week runs out. how can i inform the cic of the passport change? do i need to? or should i just send the old and new passports when sending for the visa stamp. my medicals run out in december so i need to be quick about this.

any advice is welcome

maja84

Dec 20, 2017
Hi Darren,
I am in the same situation, I have to renew my passport and 10days ago I got visa stamped in my passport and CoRP, did you get your new passport stamped and new CoRP? Also, did you wrote to Cic to let them now about the change or you just sent your passport to visa office to transfer visa to new one.

mccsthisfall

Sep 8, 2010
Hi Darren,
I am in the same situation, I have to renew my passport and 10days ago I got visa stamped in my passport and CoRP, did you get your new passport stamped and new CoRP? Also, did you wrote to Cic to let them now about the change or you just sent your passport to visa office to transfer visa to new one.
Hi Maja,
I am in the same boat as you , did you write

maja84

Dec 20, 2017
Hi Maja,
I am in the same boat as you , did you write
Hi Mccsthisfall,
I solved the priblem. I wrote to the Visa office that issued my first visa and COPR. They send me a Form that I had to fill in, I paid 30ca$ fee, and sent them old and new passports, and old COPR. Everything was finished within 10 working days.

Reactions: mccsthisfall

vorador

Star Member
Aug 25, 2018
Hi Mccsthisfall,
I solved the priblem. I wrote to the Visa office that issued my first visa and COPR. They send me a Form that I had to fill in, I paid 30ca$ fee, and sent them old and new passports, and old COPR. Everything was finished within 10 working days.
Great! How about the visa validity? Was it extended to the expiry of the medicals since you have a new passport now?