+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewal Process of Study permit, work and visa

theyahyak

Star Member
Sep 7, 2020
Hello,
I am an international student in Canada. I applied to Canada study visa with my passport which expires in 2022. I got the visa and i came to Canada in March 2021. Now the visa stamped on my passport is only valid till may 2022 which is the same validity on my passport and my study and work permit also has the same validity. I want to renew my passport now but i dont know what the process is. I have several questions
1) How can i renew my passport and how long does it take.
2) If i renew my passport, will the new passport have a visa stamp, if not how do i get a visa stamp on that which will be valid till the end of my study term (2024 is when my study ends)
3) How and when do i renew my study and work permit, should i apply for that before renewing passport or after?
I would really appreciate your help

Thanks,

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hello,
I am an international student in Canada. I applied to Canada study visa with my passport which expires in 2022. I got the visa and i came to Canada in March 2021. Now the visa stamped on my passport is only valid till may 2022 which is the same validity on my passport and my study and work permit also has the same validity. I want to renew my passport now but i dont know what the process is. I have several questions
1) How can i renew my passport and how long does it take.
2) If i renew my passport, will the new passport have a visa stamp, if not how do i get a visa stamp on that which will be valid till the end of my study term (2024 is when my study ends)
3) How and when do i renew my study and work permit, should i apply for that before renewing passport or after?
I would really appreciate your help

Thanks,
1. Passport renewal process and time depends on country’s consulate/embassy office. Suggest to contact your consulate office.
2. AFAIK, your visa counterfoil will be valid til expiration date, regardless of which passport it was attached to. You can apply to renew your visa anytime after passport renewal.
3. Renew your study/work permit at least a moth before expiration. Better to apply for SP/WP extension after passport renewal. Otherwise, you would still get the same expiration as your old passport.

HTH!

theyahyak

Star Member
Sep 7, 2020
1. Passport renewal process and time depends on country’s consulate/embassy office. Suggest to contact your consulate office.
2. AFAIK, your visa counterfoil will be valid til expiration date, regardless of which passport it was attached to. You can apply to renew your visa anytime after passport renewal.
3. Renew your study/work permit at least a moth before expiration. Better to apply for SP/WP extension after passport renewal. Otherwise, you would still get the same expiration as your old passport.

HTH!
Okay thank you so much