+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewal of U.S. Passport After Becoming Canadian

gte439u

Sep 27, 2013
Hello:

I came to Canada from the United States, and I became a Canadian citizen a few years ago. I swore an affidavit on the day that I became a Canadian stating that it was not my intent to give up my U.S. citizenship. Now, it is time to renew my U.S. passport, and I will need to address the fact that I became Canadian. Thus, I will include a certified copy of the affidavit and a letter explaining my intent to remain a U.S. citizen.

I can renew by mail or by driving 300 km to the nearest consulate. I am worried about renewing by mail given that I will include the additional documents regarding my new citizenship, and these could confuse the person who processes my application. On the other hand, it is a pain to drive to the consulate and back.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you,
gte439u

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello:

I came to Canada from the United States, and I became a Canadian citizen a few years ago. I swore an affidavit on the day that I became a Canadian stating that it was not my intent to give up my U.S. citizenship. Now, it is time to renew my U.S. passport, and I will need to address the fact that I became Canadian. Thus, I will include a certified copy of the affidavit and a letter explaining my intent to remain a U.S. citizen.

I can renew by mail or by driving 300 km to the nearest consulate. I am worried about renewing by mail given that I will include the additional documents regarding my new citizenship, and these could confuse the person who processes my application. On the other hand, it is a pain to drive to the consulate and back.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you,
gte439u
Yes, my spouse recently renewed by mail, and we simply followed the instructions on Form DS-82, namely:

"(If any of the below-mentioned acts or conditions have been performed by or apply to the applicant, the portion which applies should be lined out, and a supplementary explanatory statement under oath (or affirmation) by the applicant should be attached and made a part of this application.)

I have not, since acquiring United States citizenship/nationality, been naturalized as a citizen of a foreign state; taken an oath or made an affirmation or other formal declaration of allegiance to a foreign state..."

So, the sentence beginning with "I have not..." was lined out, and a signed statement was attached stating that Canadian citizenship had been acquired with the intention of remaining a United States citizen. The statement did not have to be notarized or certified in any way. (See definition of Sworn Declaration here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sworn_declaration)

There was no problem and the new passport was sent to our address here in Canada.

You may follow the application here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/status.html