+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewal of study permit: Being asked for biometrics again

Dec 27, 2023
Hello,

I have a situation in which I'm pretty unsure on what to do.

I am a accepted refugee in Quebec, Canada waiting for my permanent residency. It was supposed to come at the end of this year but sadly it's not here yet. I came to Canada in 2018 and my biometrics were taken right after entry. I did not get any proof or receipt of then being taken.

I am doing a pre-university DEC of 2 years. I applied for the study permit in time and it worked well. The issue is I had to take one extra semester because I took some highschool math classes I did not have. I forgot to renew my study permit on time (before August 2023) and had to do the application at the end of October this year

I sent a letter in GCkey explaining my situation and how I made a mistake of not sending the application earlier. To my surprise I was asked to have my biometrics taken in order to have a reply to my application. I thought the ones I took in 2018 are valid for 10 years, so I sent another letter telling them that I had already taken them recently.

It's been 10 days since they got the letter and there are no changes in my application. My college is asking for the renewed permit and it has taken a lot of time to process. They said they could wait but still I'm pretty worried. What should I do?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello,

I have a situation in which I'm pretty unsure on what to do.

I am a accepted refugee in Quebec, Canada waiting for my permanent residency. It was supposed to come at the end of this year but sadly it's not here yet. I came to Canada in 2018 and my biometrics were taken right after entry. I did not get any proof or receipt of then being taken.

I am doing a pre-university DEC of 2 years. I applied for the study permit in time and it worked well. The issue is I had to take one extra semester because I took some highschool math classes I did not have. I forgot to renew my study permit on time (before August 2023) and had to do the application at the end of October this year

I sent a letter in GCkey explaining my situation and how I made a mistake of not sending the application earlier. To my surprise I was asked to have my biometrics taken in order to have a reply to my application. I thought the ones I took in 2018 are valid for 10 years, so I sent another letter telling them that I had already taken them recently.

It's been 10 days since they got the letter and there are no changes in my application. My college is asking for the renewed permit and it has taken a lot of time to process. They said they could wait but still I'm pretty worried. What should I do?
You should've taken biometric as requested.. That what you should do.

Reactions: hotminaj