+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewal of PR or wait for result of Citizenship?

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Hi guys, thanks in advance for letting me know your opinion: I applied for citizenship in June last year and took my citizenship test in February this year. My test was excellent but still I don´t know the result of my application, it only say "Decision made". My PR Card expires in December , what should I do, renew my PR ? or wait till know the result of my citizenship?

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You dont have to, you can use an expired PR during your oath, unless otherwise you need to travel after December and require PR card to re-enter.

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Thanks @royce110 and @issteven ,

I forgot to mention that I am abroad right now and waiting for a repatriation flight to come back to Canada. If my PR card expires, I know I have to apply for a PR Travel Document (PRTD). Once in Canada, can I do anything with my PRTD such as applying back for health insurance?

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
Thanks @royce110 and @issteven ,

I forgot to mention that I am abroad right now and waiting for a repatriation flight to come back to Canada. If my PR card expires, I know I have to apply for a PR Travel Document (PRTD). Once in Canada, can I do anything with my PRTD such as applying back for health insurance?
Hi,
Without being in Canada you wont be called for a Virtual Oath Ceremony, this I am saying assuming your citizenship application is a "regular" one and not one of the special cases working for the govt on foreign land/bureaucratic nature jobs in which you can take the oath at the local consulate/high commission.

Looking at current situation, I think the skies will slowly open up and you will be able to come to Canada before the PR card expires.

If I had been in your place, I will wait and go the PRTD route if need arises.

Indian applicant

Jun 29, 2014
Hi,
Without being in Canada you wont be called for a Virtual Oath Ceremony, this I am saying assuming your citizenship application is a "regular" one and not one of the special cases working for the govt on foreign land/bureaucratic nature jobs in which you can take the oath at the local consulate/high commission.

Looking at current situation, I think the skies will slowly open up and you will be able to come to Canada before the PR card expires.

If I had been in your place, I will wait and go the PRTD route if need arises.
Congtras on getting your Citizenship in less than 12 months even during pandemic. Just asking if you can share where you applied like province and if you know which CIC office was processing your application ? In my case (family of 4) applied in Ontario Jul2019; started processing shows 02Nov but no further info. But the processing centre is Vancouver I discover

Indian applicant

Jun 29, 2014
Not sure if I should renew the PR Card ? PR Cards renewal processing time is 164 days while it is over 407 days since my Citizenship application reached CIC.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Not sure if I should renew the PR Card ? PR Cards renewal processing time is 164 days while it is over 407 days since my Citizenship application reached CIC.
If I were you, I would just put in the PR card renewal application. There is no certainty over when the application processing will start. Currently there seems to be a huge backlog and not sure when regular processing will start.

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
Congtras on getting your Citizenship in less than 12 months even during pandemic. Just asking if you can share where you applied like province and if you know which CIC office was processing your application ? In my case (family of 4) applied in Ontario Jul2019; started processing shows 02Nov but no further info. But the processing centre is Vancouver I discover
Hi,
My details are below:
St.Catharines applicant processed at Scarborough till DM.
File transferred on request to Niagara Falls. Transfer requested during the test interview on 5th March.

App Type: Single Physical
Presence Days: 1096.5
App Sent: Sep 03, 2019
App Delivered: Sep 04, 2019
In Process: 06 Jan 2020
Test date: 5th March 2020 at Scarborough
DM = 6th March 2020
Virtual Citizenship Ceremony Expression of Interest email received: 13 July 2020
Notice to Appear Video Oath One-on-one Virtual Ceremony email received(fresh oath invitation): 14 July 2020
Virtual Citizenship Ceremony: 30 July 2020

Did you move from Ontario to BC after applying? What is your ECAS status showing? If the test is done and DM made then I would suggest not to renew the PR unless you have any travel plans. IRCC has been hosting many applicants in a single virtual ceremony and its just a matter of time it sends you an invite too. There are quite a number of June/July'19 applicants who reported here about having received the oath invite.

If you have not yet had your citizenship test then I would suggest to apply for the PR renewal immediately.

Did you get the ATIP/GCMS notes to see the progress of your case? I would have ordered that before deciding about the PR renewal.