+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewal of permanent residency card

ce12321

Dec 31, 2018
Hello,
I left Canada in July 2011,and my PR card got expired in February 2016, then in February 2019 I applied for a permanent resident travel document through the humanitarian and compassionate grounds and I received it and it was valid till October 18th 2019. I arrived to Canada in August 2019 and now I am applying to renew my PR card, but I have a few questions;
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1)*In order to renew my PR card, I have to meet the residency requirements(Appendix A-residency obligations). This states that if I have been outside of Canada for more than 1095 days, I have to fill out the section for the residency obligation. This section requires a proof for either
-Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada
or
-Employment outside Canada

or
-Accompanying a permanent resident outside Canada

but none of these apply to me.. my parents are not Canadian citizens, I am a student now at the University of Toronto(I am 18 now), and my parents' PR got expired in February 2016 too! But at the end of Appendix A, it was stated:
Humanitarian and compassionate grounds

If you cannot meet the residency obligation, we will consider any compelling humanitarian and compassionate factors in your individual circumstances that may justify that you keep your permanent resident status.

We will notify you if this additional assessment is needed.

So what should I do? Should I leave the section for the Residency Obligations empty and attach the letter that I gave to the embassy when I applied to the PRTD through the humanitarian and compassionate grounds?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2)*Okay, for the Biometrics... Should I pay for the biometrics and the PR card together when I apply for the PR card and wait for the BIL to arrive? Does it work like that?

Thanks a lot!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So why do you need to apply to renew your PR card now as opposed to waiting a couple of years to reset your residency. Are you planning to travel out of the country given then you would need a valid card else you could wait unless you have some other reason in mind ?

ce12321

Dec 31, 2018
So why do you need to apply to renew your PR card now as opposed to waiting a couple of years to reset your residency. Are you planning to travel out of the country given then you would need a valid card else you could wait unless you have some other reason in mind ?
Yes, my parents are living abroad and I am planning to visit them in May since they cannot enter Canada because they have an expired PR

asaeed100

Dec 4, 2019
Hello,
I left Canada in July 2011,and my PR card got expired in February 2016, then in February 2019 I applied for a permanent resident travel document through the humanitarian and compassionate grounds and I received it and it was valid till October 18th 2019. I arrived to Canada in August 2019 and now I am applying to renew my PR card, but I have a few questions;
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1)*In order to renew my PR card, I have to meet the residency requirements(Appendix A-residency obligations). This states that if I have been outside of Canada for more than 1095 days, I have to fill out the section for the residency obligation. This section requires a proof for either
-Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada
or
-Employment outside Canada

or
-Accompanying a permanent resident outside Canada

but none of these apply to me.. my parents are not Canadian citizens, I am a student now at the University of Toronto(I am 18 now), and my parents' PR got expired in February 2016 too! But at the end of Appendix A, it was stated:
Humanitarian and compassionate grounds

If you cannot meet the residency obligation, we will consider any compelling humanitarian and compassionate factors in your individual circumstances that may justify that you keep your permanent resident status.

We will notify you if this additional assessment is needed.
So what should I do? Should I leave the section for the Residency Obligations empty and attach the letter that I gave to the embassy when I applied to the PRTD through the humanitarian and compassionate grounds?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2)*Okay, for the Biometrics... Should I pay for the biometrics and the PR card together when I apply for the PR card and wait for the BIL to arrive? Does it work like that?

Thanks a lot!

what is the status of your health cards?
are they still valid?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My PRTD, Canadian-issued driver's license, and my old PR card since it hasn't been expired for 5 years
You got very lucky. Normally a PRTD would not be accepted because it doesn’t actually mean people can get another 5 year PR card.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
makes sense
considering they probably dont want people to come back on PRTD and live for 2 yrs without any heath insurance
Canada doesn’t really care about an individual’s health coverage. I am surprised they accepted the PRTD and did not ask to return with the new PR card which would only have been a short time later. If you get approved for a PRTD based on H&C you can apply for a new PR card when you return. Unfortunately there is a ton of variability in what is required because many are not well informed.

asaeed100

Dec 4, 2019
Canada doesn’t really care about an individual’s health coverage. I am surprised they accepted the PRTD and did not ask to return with the new PR card which would only have been a short time later. If you get approved for a PRTD based on H&C you can apply for a new PR card when you return. Unfortunately there is a ton of variability in what is required because many are not well informed.
i believe you are not familiar with the required documentations for health cards. please get familiar before you spread WRONG information/advises as you USUALLY do.

i know people who got health cards who had returned and had PRTD ONLY. The people at center were also okay with expired PR cards with a proof of submission for renewal. they mostly care about your address and length of stay at that address, ID etc.

we have this gentlemen here and many more examples, yet you show your disbelieve every time there is a talk about PRTDs who are back in the system. it is as if what they did or got was out of the ordinary and a special case "Every time"

may be you do this to satisfy your own demons that has issues with immigrants coming back with PRTDs.

ALL as you say come back to cheat the system to get advantage of local tuition, blah blah.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
i believe you are not familiar with the required documentations for health cards. please get familiar before you spread WRONG information/advises as you USUALLY do.

i know people who got health cards who had returned and had PRTD ONLY. The people at center were also okay with expired PR cards with a proof of submission for renewal. they mostly care about your address and length of stay at that address, ID etc.

we have this gentlemen here and many more examples, yet you show your disbelieve every time there is a talk about PRTDs who are back in the system. it is as if what they did or got was out of the ordinary and a special case "Every time"

may be you do this to satisfy your own demons that has issues with immigrants coming back with PRTDs.

ALL as you say come back to cheat the system to get advantage of local tuition, blah blah.
There is a ton of inconsistency when it comes to what government employees accept as proof needed to obtain a health card. Unfortunately many are not well trained like many other agency like CRA and IRCC info lines.

Yes I don’t think it is fair that parents pay taxes for 18 years for their children to pay domestic fees at college and university and that others can stay in Canada for a day, never pay taxes and get access to domestic tuition and not international rates. Any international student should be outraged as well. There are many parents who use this as a way to avoid paying international fees and applied for PR with no intention of actually remaining in Canada.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

asaeed100

Dec 4, 2019
There is a ton of inconsistency when it comes to what government employees accept as proof needed to obtain a health card. Unfortunately many are not well trained like many other agency like CRA and IRCC info lines.

Yes I don’t think it is fair that parents pay taxes for 18 years for their children to pay domestic fees at college and university and that others can stay in Canada for a day, never pay taxes and get access to domestic tuition and not international rates. Any international student should be outraged as well. There are many parents who use this as a way to avoid paying international fees and applied for PR with no intention of actually remaining in Canada.
i am really sorry that you have diverted your focus to a handle of such cases.and in the hatred you have been misleading and giving wrong advises over the years
many (# could be in thousands) come to canada, get citizenship, pay local tuition fees for their kids and fly off to US, UAE, ME india, UK, EU, China etc,
where is your outcry for such cases?
the number of people applying for PRTD for their kids would be far less than the ones mentioned above.
such individuals with a late start are far more likely to stay in Canada for ever.

btw you really ought to read the requirements rather that giving your intuition on what the trained people should be diong

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Legal entitlement to be in Canada documents include:
  • Canadian passport
  • Permanent resident card (both sides)
  • First Nations/Inuit/Métis card (both sides)
  • Canadian birth certificate
  • Canada entry document (both sides)
  • Canadian citizenship card or certificate (both sides)
If these supporting documents are not provided, your application cannot be processed.
These are the Canadian documents required by Alberta Health Care. PRTD is not one of them and it clearly states an application won’t be processed without it. You too should learn the requirement before criticizing others.