+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewal of Expired PR Card

stellahello

Star Member
Aug 1, 2013
Hi all,

I have questions in relation to the renewal of PR card. My PR card was expired in 2017. I am in the process of completing the application form for the renewal of PR card. A few questions in the application form are about my personal history in the past 5 years. I am assuming the 5 year period starts from the day of preparing the form, namely, from 2014 to 2019, not the date of the expiry date of the old PR card (2012-2017). Also, what would be the expiry date of the new PR card? will the date be when they are issuing a new card? or 5 years from the expiry date of the old PR card?

In addition to the above, I just noted that my passport is valid until Apr, 2020. Does this expiry date relate to the expiry date of the new PR card? Do CIC issue a new PR card which is valid only until the passport expiry date like a visa?

Thank you very much in advance for your time.

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi all,

I have questions in relation to the renewal of PR card. My PR card was expired in 2017. I am in the process of completing the application form for the renewal of PR card. A few questions in the application form are about my personal history in the past 5 years. I am assuming the 5 year period starts from the day of preparing the form, namely, from 2014 to 2019, not the date of the expiry date of the old PR card (2012-2017). Also, what would be the expiry date of the new PR card? will the date be when they are issuing a new card? or 5 years from the expiry date of the old PR card?

Thank you very much in advance for your time.
Correct. The dates under assessment are the day you submit your application and the preceding 1824 days. Ignore any PR card dates, as they are not relevant to the Residency Obligation assessment.
New PR card dates will probably be a while after the application is approved, not consecutive with the old card dates.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also you now have to be constantly in compliance with the 2 out of 5 year RO. Instead of needing to be in Canad for 2 out of the next 5 years you now have to be compliant with RO on any day.

joss

Nov 7, 2011

Hi ,
My PR card was expired in 2017. Both me and my wife came to Canada in May 2017. We were not reported. Now I have completed 750 days and my wife completed 735 days. We never travelled outside Canada in these two years. In 2017 we sponsered our son who is 5 years old . Then we got residency obligation questionnaire. It was replied back with valid reasons and PR was issued to our son. Now my question is . Does it make any difference if we both me and wife apply separately. I need to travel in June .is it ok to send employment letter and tax documents for the past two years as proof of residency to avoid delay in PR process.

Highly appreciate quick response..

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Hi ,
My PR card was expired in 2017. Both me and my wife came to Canada in May 2017. We were not reported. Now I have completed 750 days and my wife completed 735 days. We never travelled outside Canada in these two years. In 2017 we sponsered our son who is 5 years old . Then we got residency obligation questionnaire. It was replied back with valid reasons and PR was issued to our son. Now my question is . Does it make any difference if we both me and wife apply separately. I need to travel in June .is it ok to send employment letter and tax documents for the past two years as proof of residency to avoid delay in PR process.

Highly appreciate quick response..
As PR cards and compliance with the Residency Obligation requirements are an individual matter, the renewal applications are not linked anyway.
Therefore, I'm not sure what you mean by "apply separately".