+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew WP being unemployed

Frecuencia

May 17, 2013
Hi,

currently I am awaiting my PR (just waiting for my medical exam to get there), so I should be getting it pretty soon. But I live with my brother who is on a WP about to expire. He got it after finishing studies and then had a job for a while, but currently he is unemployed and we have been looking everywhere without success. His permit only has a couple months before expiring. Is it possible to renew his WP if he doesn't get a job before that or at least do we have any other options so he does not have to leave the country?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So your brother was on a post-grad work permit? There is only one scenario where he could get that extended and that would be if he was given a shorter time than he was eligible for due to his passport expiring sooner and that he has since renewed it.

As for getting any type of new work permit, if he was eligible to apply for PR and had already done that and had been granted first stage approval, he might be eligible to apply for a bridging open work permit. If not, then his only option to stay a little longer would be to apply to change his status to visitor but he can not work as a visitor.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - it's possible.

He will first need to find an employer who is willing to offer him a job. That employer will then have to obtain an approved Labour Market Opinion. As part of this process, the employer will need to advertise the job for a minimum of a month to prove that no Canadian could be found for the role. Once the advertising requirement is met, the employer will then have to submit the LMO application along with a $275 fee. LMO application processing times are around two months. Assuming the LMO is approved, your brother can then apply for a work permit.

So the first step is to find an employer who is willing to go through the LMO process.