+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew TRV while waiting for PGWP

umudess

Oct 2, 2019
Hi guys,

I got stuck. I'm gonna graduate on May 15 2020 and my study permit, work permit and my TRV expire on May 31,2020. I will apply for pgwp in that 16 days. I wanna visit my family after the school before starting to work.

am i able to extend or renew my TRV while im waiting for pgwp to be issued ?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but why wait that long to apply for a new TRV, apply to get a new TRV in the new year you do not have to wait until May 31.

tankarla

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
TRV can not be extended unless your study permit is extended . You can apply for extension of study permit first stating that you need some time for your future consideration like PGWP etc . After the same is approved , TRV can be extended. It is not advisable to go outside Canada on implied status.

umudess

Oct 2, 2019
TRV can not be extended unless your study permit is extended . You can apply for extension of study permit first stating that you need some time for your future consideration like PGWP etc . After the same is approved , TRV can be extended. It is not advisable to go outside Canada on implied status.
Thanks for reply. do you mean that I am not able to extend my TRV until my pgwp is issued ? If it takes 3 months, then i'll have to stay in Canada in that 3 months.

tankarla

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
Thanks for reply. do you mean that I am not able to extend my TRV until my pgwp is issued ? If it takes 3 months, then i'll have to stay in Canada in that 3 months.
Yes ; unfortunately it is advisable to stay . Otherwise without valid TRV no airline would allow you to board. And TRV can only be extended when your PGWP or the extended Study permit is issued.

you can still extend your study permit by making an application in January 2020 stating that in order to be in status you need upto 3 months after graduation to take a call on further studies or PGWP. Your University can issue you a letter that you will officially graduate in XYZ month etc. If they allow you, you need to extend your TRV till the validity of study permit so that you can travel in between.

Will Fishier

Oct 3, 2019
Yes ; unfortunately it is advisable to stay . Otherwise without valid TRV no airline would allow you to board. And TRV can only be extended when your PGWP or the extended Study permit is issued.

you can still extend your study permit by making an application in January 2020 stating that in order to be in status you need upto 3 months after graduation to take a call on further studies or PGWP. Your University can issue you a letter that you will officially graduate in XYZ month etc. If they allow you, you need to extend your TRV till the validity of study permit so that you can travel in between.
Very good argument with IRCC. Don't forget: 1. you will have up to 180 days to apply PGWP; 2. the 180 days start the day you receive your final transcript.

RizaBree

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Hi question. My trv is valid until April 2020. I finished school August 2019. Then this December I got my PGWP. I am planning to spend the Holidays with relatives in the US, how soon do I need to update my trv? HAPPY HOLIDAYS

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
Hi question. My trv is valid until April 2020. I finished school August 2019. Then this December I got my PGWP. I am planning to spend the Holidays with relatives in the US, how soon do I need to update my trv? HAPPY HOLIDAYS
You can return with existing TRV and PGWP in hand.

Reactions: Princes2020

Princes2020

Jan 1, 2020
You can return with existing TRV and PGWP in hand.
In his case it makes sense that he can visit using the same TRV. But the question remains there that how much in advance TRV renewal should be applied. On cic it’s mentioned that TRV renewal from inside can only be applied if existing one is expired. That’s but confusing.

umudess

Oct 2, 2019
Updates !
I've applied for CAQ extension and as soon as i get it, i'll apply for TRV renewal.
to reply @Princes2020 you cannot apply for TRV renewal until existing one is expired. You may travel with your valid study or work permit only but it doesn't guarantee that you can get into the country.

Reactions: Princes2020

Princes2020

Jan 1, 2020
Updates !
I've applied for CAQ extension and as soon as i get it, i'll apply for TRV renewal.
to reply @Princes2020 you cannot apply for TRV renewal until existing one is expired. You may travel with your valid study or work permit only but it doesn't guarantee that you can get into the country.
I did apply for TRV extension while my current one was valid. It’s been 2 months and still under progress. Meanwhile I visited my home country and came back and I have been allowed to enter.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Updates !
A person can certainly apply for a new TRV before the previous one expires. A valid TRV is required to travel; study/work permits can't be used to travel.

umudess

Oct 2, 2019
I did apply for TRV extension while my current one was valid. It’s been 2 months and still under progress. Meanwhile I visited my home country and came back and I have been allowed to enter.
Hi,

Can you please tell me how to apply for TRV extension ?

Princes2020

Jan 1, 2020
Hi,

Can you please tell me how to apply for TRV extension ?
Creat GC key account, go to “apply to come to Canada” and answer the questions as per your situation. It will generate forms and list of documents for you. Fill the forms and upload with required documents and pay 100$ fee. That’s it.

Reactions: umudess