+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew study permit after absence

liliya

Jan 5, 2015
Hey guys!
I am an international student studying in Canada. I received my study permit June 2013 and it is valid through August 2017, so I'm currently in my second year. Due to financial difficulties it looks like I'll have to leave school for this winter semester (Winter 2015). I am planning to leave Canada for this time and go back to my home country, and then return to Canada next fall or winter. My question is whether I'll have to re-new my study permit and/or visa. They will be still valid, and I will be attending same college, however, I will be changing program to finish my studies earlier.
I know there are new rules saying that study permits become invalid after 90 days not attending school starting June 1, 2014, but my study permit was issued before that date, so I'm not sure that the same rules apply. I swear to god, I have read every document, every section of new regulations but I just can't make sense out of it. If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated!
Also, when I leave college like this, will it be noted that I dropped out or took leave of absence or something else?

Thanks!

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

liliya said:
Hey guys!
I am an international student studying in Canada. I received my study permit June 2013 and it is valid through August 2017, so I'm currently in my second year. Due to financial difficulties it looks like I'll have to leave school for this winter semester (Winter 2015). I am planning to leave Canada for this time and go back to my home country, and then return to Canada next fall or winter. My question is whether I'll have to re-new my study permit and/or visa. They will be still valid, and I will be attending same college, however, I will be changing program to finish my studies earlier.
I know there are new rules saying that study permits become invalid after 90 days not attending school starting June 1, 2014, but my study permit was issued before that date, so I'm not sure that the same rules apply. I swear to god, I have read every document, every section of new regulations but I just can't make sense out of it. If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated!
Also, when I leave college like this, will it be noted that I dropped out or took leave of absence or something else?

Thanks!

Appears to be some contradiction on the website. According to Section 20 of IRPA,

"Despite section 16, section 222 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, as it read immediately before the day on which these Regulations come into force, continues to apply in respect of a temporary resident whose application for a study permit is received before that day or to whom a study permit has been issued before that day, for the duration of that permit."

Even if you ignore it, you must remain enrolled as a 'registered student' (new rules). How is that possible if you leave Canada for a long time? Registration is different than a letter of acceptance.