+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew PR card after entering Сanada with PRTD for H&C reason

anonymouscookie

Sep 13, 2021
Hello I have a question, so basically when I landed I got the pr but I was obviously a minor and unable to make a decision to stay in Canada so obviously my PR CARD expired. so this led me to apply for a prtd based on h&c grounds. now my question is when i go to Canada in a few weeks, i have filled out the pr application but left one section empty which is the residency obligation as I stayed outside of Canada for 1095 days or more. However, the situations they mention (absences while accompanying family member, family business etc) don't apply to me. So my question is, do i leave this section empty when i submit this application in hopes they will look at my file knowing I have a valid reason based on h&c grounds or do i submit a letter along with this application? can someone help me with this please. thank you.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
You spammed the forum with the same post 10x in 2 hours. Please remember this is a forum of non-professional volunteers who respond in their own free time, plus H&C reasons for PRTD/PR card renewals are an uncommon topic, and most people simply don't have that experience. If you want to get immediate help, pay a consultant or lawyer.

anonymouscookie

Sep 13, 2021
You spammed the forum with the same post 10x in 2 hours. Please remember this is a forum of non-professional volunteers who respond in their own free time, plus H&C reasons for PRTD/PR card renewals are an uncommon topic, and most people simply don't have that experience. If you want to get immediate help, pay a consultant or lawyer.
sorry! but can u offer some clarity about this?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
sorry! but can u offer some clarity about this?
You posted the same query eight times in the course of just one hour. You did so starting within just minutes of joining the forum, displaying the fact that you are either not at all familiar with the format and nature of discussions in the forum, or acting in deliberate disregard for the format and nature of discussions here.

So your posts looked and smelled like SPAM. Not good bait when fishing for answers to sincere questions. It is no surprise there were only snippy nibbles. (Looked like spam to me; so I am among those who try to offer, to the extent we can, helpful information in response to genuine questions, and who passed your posts on by.)

I will not presume to lecture anyone, including not you, about the format and structure of discussion here. Rather, I'll merely suggest you make an effort, as they say, to read the room some (which does not mandate conforming -- my participation here often conflicts with the room -- but is more about surveying the scene in preparation for navigating it). And I'll note that many discussions here, particularly those in regards to substantive issues, proceed more like playing chess by mail (paper mail) rather than typical social media back-and-forth, let alone the patter in twitter-zones. Its a post-and-come-back-later scene more than post-and-wait.

Hello I have a question, so basically when I landed I got the pr but I was obviously a minor and unable to make a decision to stay in Canada so obviously my PR CARD expired. so this led me to apply for a prtd based on h&c grounds. now my question is when i go to Canada in a few weeks, i have filled out the pr application but left one section empty which is the residency obligation as I stayed outside of Canada for 1095 days or more. However, the situations they mention (absences while accompanying family member, family business etc) don't apply to me. So my question is, do i leave this section empty when i submit this application in hopes they will look at my file knowing I have a valid reason based on h&c grounds or do i submit a letter along with this application? can someone help me with this please. thank you.
I have previously answered a very similar question; see discussion here https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/renewing-pr-card-with-rc1-prtd.740866/

Including this:
As for "my question now is since the PR renewal form has no place for H&C, should I explain everything in the cover letter?"

Probably not necessary but should help. Probably a good idea. No need to go into extensive detail. Object is to be sure the initial processing agent reviewing the application does not overlook the GCMS record showing the favourable H&C determination, which could help to avoid a more lengthy processing time.
That is just one among several related discussions in multiple threads here. While your situation is not common, it is one that comes up periodically.

Otherwise, in the application itself you follow the instructions, answering questions accurately, honestly, and completely; for some parts your response might be "Not Applicable." No need to figure out how this or that will look. Report the truth. Answer what is asked.

And as I responded in the other thread, should not hurt, decent chance it could help, to include a cover letter (or supplemental page) BRIEFLY explaining the situation.

FURTHER COMMENT:

I am NOT an expert and NOT qualified to offer personal advice. But I can suggest that it might be worth your while to also exercise some patience in how you proceed.

In particular, it is probably a good idea to get well-established in Canada before you make the application for a new PR card. Which might not be all that easy without a currently valid PR card, and could depend on things like whether you have a CRA SIN.

As @bellaluna referenced, there is not a lot of experience reported here for this situation. There is no consensus here, even, that it is OK to proceed with an application for a new PR card without waiting to be in Canada long enough to be back in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation . . . that is, some forum participants say that a PR in your situation should wait TWO YEARS to apply for the PR card.

As my comments referenced above (and discussed more extensively at the linked thread, among other similar discussions in other threads), my understanding is that when the PR Travel Document is coded to show it was a decision based on H&C, that usually means it should be OK to proceed to apply for a new PR card WITHOUT having to wait. As I responded to the OP in the thread linked above:
. . . as long as you have returned to Canada and are IN Canada, staying in Canada, there is no problem (related to PR RO issues) with applying for a new PR card soon. NO need to wait like [another poster] suggests.
But, again, it is probably a good idea to get well-established in Canada before you make the application for a new PR card. I am not at all sure, but unless and until the PR returning to Canada on a PR TD issued for H&C reasons has at least established residency in Canada (not mere presence, but a settled-resident-address), if not more (job, school enrollment, or such), there appears to be a bigger RISK of non-routine processing that could delay being issued a PR card for many months, even a year.

Just to be sure you are aware, the current timeline for routinely processed PR card applications tends to be four months or more. So regardless when you make the PR card application, expect to go without one for at least several months after arriving here.

Reactions: bellaluna

anonymouscookie

Sep 13, 2021
Yeah i am in enrolled in a University there and have a student housing in which the address is mentioned in on the form. So hopefully this might help? also I'm sorry for the bombardment of questions I just was excessively worrying :)

anonymouscookie

Sep 13, 2021
You posted the same query eight times in the course of just one hour. You did so starting within just minutes of joining the forum, displaying the fact that you are either not at all familiar with the format and nature of discussions in the forum, or acting in deliberate disregard for the format and nature of discussions here.

So your posts looked and smelled like SPAM. Not good bait when fishing for answers to sincere questions. It is no surprise there were only snippy nibbles. (Looked like spam to me; so I am among those who try to offer, to the extent we can, helpful information in response to genuine questions, and who passed your posts on by.)

I will not presume to lecture anyone, including not you, about the format and structure of discussion here. Rather, I'll merely suggest you make an effort, as they say, to read the room some (which does not mandate conforming -- my participation here often conflicts with the room -- but is more about surveying the scene in preparation for navigating it). And I'll note that many discussions here, particularly those in regards to substantive issues, proceed more like playing chess by mail (paper mail) rather than typical social media back-and-forth, let alone the patter in twitter-zones. Its a post-and-come-back-later scene more than post-and-wait.

I have previously answered a very similar question; see discussion here https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/renewing-pr-card-with-rc1-prtd.740866/

Including this:

That is just one among several related discussions in multiple threads here. While your situation is not common, it is one that comes up periodically.

Otherwise, in the application itself you follow the instructions, answering questions accurately, honestly, and completely; for some parts your response might be "Not Applicable." No need to figure out how this or that will look. Report the truth. Answer what is asked.

And as I responded in the other thread, should not hurt, decent chance it could help, to include a cover letter (or supplemental page) BRIEFLY explaining the situation.

FURTHER COMMENT:

I am NOT an expert and NOT qualified to offer personal advice. But I can suggest that it might be worth your while to also exercise some patience in how you proceed.

In particular, it is probably a good idea to get well-established in Canada before you make the application for a new PR card. Which might not be all that easy without a currently valid PR card, and could depend on things like whether you have a CRA SIN.

As @bellaluna referenced, there is not a lot of experience reported here for this situation. There is no consensus here, even, that it is OK to proceed with an application for a new PR card without waiting to be in Canada long enough to be back in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation . . . that is, some forum participants say that a PR in your situation should wait TWO YEARS to apply for the PR card.

As my comments referenced above (and discussed more extensively at the linked thread, among other similar discussions in other threads), my understanding is that when the PR Travel Document is coded to show it was a decision based on H&C, that usually means it should be OK to proceed to apply for a new PR card WITHOUT having to wait. As I responded to the OP in the thread linked above:

But, again, it is probably a good idea to get well-established in Canada before you make the application for a new PR card. I am not at all sure, but unless and until the PR returning to Canada on a PR TD issued for H&C reasons has at least established residency in Canada (not mere presence, but a settled-resident-address), if not more (job, school enrollment, or such), there appears to be a bigger RISK of non-routine processing that could delay being issued a PR card for many months, even a year.

Just to be sure you are aware, the current timeline for routinely processed PR card applications tends to be four months or more. So regardless when you make the PR card application, expect to go without one for at least several months after arriving here.
Also i have one more question, I applied for the SIN but lets say it doesn't arrive on time and I need to apply for the pr, there is a section where I have to enter my sin number and check yes or no in the box regarding the sin. should I tick no if I dont get it on time, or do u think I should wait till I get the sin to avoid complications?

MAT9

Nov 1, 2018
You can attach explanation letter along with the application for the renewal of PR Card. This is mentioned in the IRCC act, which is for the guidance of the IRCC for renewing the PR card after you obtain PRTD from the back home(IRCC /Embacy office of your country). If you have got PRTD it means you are still PR and they have already done positive determination of your residence. If you need any further clarification I will be happy to share with you. I had th same case like you.

II. APPLICABLE LAW

Subsection 28 (1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act requires permanent residents to comply with the residency obligation described in section 28.

Applicants seeking a determination for status must first submit an application for a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad), which include an assessment against each of the residency obligation provisions of A28. A positive determination will both enable travel to Canada as well as to confirm status as a permanent resident.

SEE: Exhibit “A”: OP 10 Permanent Residency Determination – 5.3 The Travel Document and Determination of Residency Status

In addition, when a visa office has determined that the applicants have complied with the residency obligation, their application for a permanent resident card will be returned to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia to complete processing and issuance of a renewed PR card.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah i am in enrolled in a University there and have a student housing in which the address is mentioned in on the form. So hopefully this might help? also I'm sorry for the bombardment of questions I just was excessively worrying :)
How did you get admission as a domestic student and student housing without a valid PR card?

MAT9

Nov 1, 2018
You can attach explanation letter along with the application for the renewal of PR Card. This is mentioned in the IRCC act, which is for the guidance of the IRCC for renewing the PR card after you obtain PRTD from the back home(IRCC /Embacy office of your country). If you have got PRTD it means you are still PR and they have already done positive determination of your residence. If you need any further clarification I will be happy to share with you. I had th same case like you.

II. APPLICABLE LAW

Subsection 28 (1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act requires permanent residents to comply with the residency obligation described in section 28.

Applicants seeking a determination for status must first submit an application for a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad), which include an assessment against each of the residency obligation provisions of A28. A positive determination will both enable travel to Canada as well as to confirm status as a permanent resident.

SEE: Exhibit “A”: OP 10 Permanent Residency Determination – 5.3 The Travel Document and Determination of Residency Status

In addition, when a visa office has determined that the applicants have complied with the residency obligation, their application for a permanent resident card will be returned to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia to complete processing and issuance of a renewed PR card.
Don't worry , you will get one but definitely it may take more time than the normal.

Dec 4, 2021
Hii
I am also travelling on PRTD and want to know your update regarding the PR card? How you applied and in what time you got it after landing in Canada in Sept 2021. An Urgent reply will be appreciated as I am having a flight and I want to know the process as early as possible.