+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

renew permanent resident card that will expire in 13 july 2017

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emadg said:
5 years is calculated from May 2012 since i became resident not from July 2012
I will have to correct my previous answer as this is what it states on IRCC website and it does confirm what other posters have replied:
If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years
•you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.

So according to tis you could apply with less than 730 days if you can clearly show you will be able to meet the 730 within first 5 years.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Rigly68 said:
I will have to correct my previous answer as this is what it states on IRCC website and it does confirm what other posters have replied:
If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years
•you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.

So according to tis you could apply with less than 730 days if you can clearly show you will be able to meet the 730 within first 5 years.
Understood!

What if the person meets RO within first 5 years and applies with 688 days however leaves Canada after sending the application?

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Understood!

What if the person meets RO within first 5 years and applies with 688 days however leaves Canada after sending the application?
I guess it could come up at the next renewal? Not sure.
Personally I would wait anyways to fulfil the 730 days right now.... I would be to worried that it would go to secondary review and then it would take longer in the long run then to now wait another 1 1/2 months.... But OP is within the regulations if he/she applies now.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Rigly68 said:
I guess it could come up at the next renewal? Not sure.
Personally I would wait anyways to fulfil the 730 days right now.... I would be to worried that it would go to secondary review and then it would take longer in the long run then to now wait another 1 1/2 months.... But OP is within the regulations if he/she applies now.
Yes, correct.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Buletruck said:
Completely wrong advice. Not meeting RO is grounds for revocation of one PR status. Why does your employer need your PR card? It's a travel document and does not prove your status in Canada (you can have a valid PR card and be outside of RO). All you should have to supply is a SIN number with your employer. A drivers licence and valid health card should be more than adequate supplemental information.
It is very common that employers would ask to see the pr card. I did show my SIN card when i was hired and kept getting daily email notifications from HR mentioning that "i have not submitted proof of eligibility to work in Canada", i asked them what else they needed and they mentioned they need to see the pr card.

romanbel0

Nov 13, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
Again, wrong. You are misunderstanding the rule.

In the first 5 years, a person is still in compliance with the RO if they have 730 days OR have enough time left in the 5 years to hit 730 days.

If OP applies now, he has 688 days and another 90 or so days in the first 5 years to hit 730 days, so he is still in compliance.
Yes. This is correct. He can apply now as I have told above. I still disagree with everybody here saying that he is not yet eligible. You are misunderstanding the requirements.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
thecoolguysam said:
Understood!

The residency obligation does not reset. If you barely meet the 2 in 5 years rule and apply to renew your card, but then immediately leave Canada again, there it's likely you would soon not meet the residency obligation anymore once you have spent 3 years outside Canada in any 5 year span. If you don't meet the RO then on your next entry into Canada you could be reported for not meeting RO, and have your PR status revoked. It would not matter if in the meantime you received your new PR card, they can still revoke your PR status if on any given day you don't meet the RO.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
emamabd said:
It is very common that employers would ask to see the pr card. I did show my SIN card when i was hired and kept getting daily email notifications from HR mentioning that "i have not submitted proof of eligibility to work in Canada", i asked them what else they needed and they mentioned they need to see the pr card.
Despite this very common practice, an employer only needs to verify the SIN number which they can do via phone. A valid SIN, confirmed by the government, is all they proof of employment that is necessary. ONLY if the SIN starts with a 9 is the employer required to check for proof of work.

See here
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/reports/code-of-practice/section-3.html

emadg

Aug 22, 2008
thank you for all of you, really i appreciate your advice from .accordingto what has said i decided to wait until i complete 730 days then i will apply . i know that i am eligible to apply according to what written in CIC website but to be in the safe side i will wait . i talked to someone who applied before he advised me to include with the application copy of my passport and translation of the pages that is not in English and letter from employer or courses that i did take during the 2 years to help them to process my file in the time frame which is 39 days and to avoid secondary review . what is your opnion?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
emadg said:
thank you for all of you, really i appreciate your advice from .accordingto what has said i decided to wait until i complete 730 days then i will apply . i know that i am eligible to apply according to what written in CIC website but to be in the safe side i will wait . i talked to someone who applied before he advised me to include with the application copy of my passport and translation of the pages that is not in English and letter from employer or courses that i did take during the 2 years to help them to process my file in the time frame which is 39 days and to avoid secondary review . what is your opnion?
whatever is being asked in the checklist for pr card renewal send that. There is no guarantee that even if you send those additional documents, it may help or may not. If the secondary review is bound to happen or if IRCC requires more info then they will ask you anyway.
Also, don't apply on exact 730 days. Give it few days extra buffer like 2-4 weeks, that may help somehow.

Blueboy1980

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
romanbel0 said:
I disagree with this. While it can be scrutinized as every other application for whatever reason, I do not see why it would be rejected based on residency time. He does NOT have to wait till March 18th,2017 to apply even though that might be safer thing to do. No rule prohibit him to apply now as he fulfills all the requirements at this time.
This is WRONG. He has not yet fulfilled the residency requirement! 688 days it will be rejected! Wait until at least 730 days.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Blueboy1980 said:
This is WRONG. He has not yet fulfilled the residency requirement! 688 days it will be rejected! Wait until at least 730 days.
Wrong. Did you even bother to read the previous posts or check the IRCC website?

In the first 5 years, a person is still in compliance with the RO if they have 730 days OR have enough time left in the 5 years to hit 730 days.

If OP applies now, he has 688 days and another 90 or so days in the first 5 years to hit 730 days, so he is still in compliance.

Blueboy1980

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
Wrong. Did you even bother to read the previous posts or check the IRCC website?

Good luck with that one, he will not be issued a card before the 730 is met

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Blueboy1980 said:
Stop giving incorrect advice and read the above posts that give VERBATIM quotes from the CIC/IRCC website showing that he can apply now. He is within the first five years of his PR.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Blueboy1980 said:
Still wrong. He is in compliance with the RO, so he would be issued a new card.