+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew passport while waiting for Citizenship ?

Frollo888

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
Hello everyone!
My passport is expired and I should start my Citizenship application next month.
I know I can do the application with the expired passport, but can I also apply for a new passport in the meanwhile?

I have already contacted my Consulate and the first appointment available will be in January 2022 which means the new passport could arrive by March 2022.
I don't want to wait 5 months for apply to the Citizenship....
Thanks is advance!

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hello everyone!
My passport is expired and I should start my Citizenship application next month.
I know I can do the application with the expired passport, but can I also apply for a new passport in the meanwhile?

I have already contacted my Consulate and the first appointment available will be in January 2022 which means the new passport could arrive by March 2022.
I don't want to wait 5 months for apply to the Citizenship....
Thanks is advance!
I renew my passport at least 6 months before the expiry date to make sure I have a valid travel document at hand at all times. But, since this is not what you did, this is what the instructions guide says:

• colour photocopy of all pages (valid or expired) of your passport(s) or travel document(s) during your (5) year eligibility period, including the biographical page which includes: name, photo, date and place of birth, passport/travel document number, issue date and expiration date.
    • If you do not have these documents or there is missing time between the validity dates of the travel documents, provide an explanation in question 14 on the application form.
You will have to provide explanation if you applied now or later, since there will be a missing time between the two valid passports.

Frollo888

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
I renew my passport at least 6 months before the expiry date to make sure I have a valid travel document at hand at all times. But, since this is not what you did, this is what the instructions guide says:

You will have to provide explanation if you applied now or later, since there will be a missing time between the two valid passports.
Hi ! thanks for your comment ! but my questions is if I can apply for a new passport after I do the Citizenship application with my expired passport.
I already know that I can apply for Citizenship with the expired one, I'm wondering what happen if I request a new one in the meanwhile

Tony98

Sep 25, 2018
Hi ! thanks for your comment ! but my questions is if I can apply for a new passport after I do the Citizenship application with my expired passport.
I already know that I can apply for Citizenship with the expired one, I'm wondering what happen if I request a new one in the meanwhile
Nothing would happed. You apply your new passport from your orginal country. Canada doesn't care about it.

Reactions: Frollo888

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
If you can apply now, then what happens after doesn't really matter much.