+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew my PR because of delays in citizenship application?

btraven42

Oct 18, 2021
Hi!

As everybody else, I'm experiencing some delays in the review of my citizenship application. I filed it in May 2020, they opened my file in November of the same year and at this point, my background verification is completed and I passed my citizenship test in July 2021, everything else is still in progress. My PR is good until December of 2022. In your opinion, should I start the process to renew my PR in case there are more delays? Have you been in this situation and if yes, what did you guys do? Thanks!

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi!

As everybody else, I'm experiencing some delays in the review of my citizenship application. I filed it in May 2020, they opened my file in November of the same year and at this point, my background verification is completed and I passed my citizenship test in July 2021, everything else is still in progress. My PR is good until December of 2022. In your opinion, should I start the process to renew my PR in case there are more delays? Have you been in this situation and if yes, what did you guys do? Thanks!
You have time. I would wait. You have a good chance to get the passport before the end of next year. If nothing happens by next March, go ahead and start the process of renewing your PR card. You cannot renew your PR card before that anyway (you can renew starting 9 months before the expiry date).

Reactions: btraven42

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi!

You cannot renew your PR unless your card is expiring in 9 months or less.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/who-can-apply.html