+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Removing a declared child from file

themother

Feb 18, 2024
Hello, my ex partner just arrived in alberta last November 2023 he added our child in his file when he applied for PR. The problem is my son never knew him or had any contact to him when we separated in 2016. Now he wanted the child to be with him in canada but my son refuses to go since he doesn't know his bio-dad. Is there a way to remove my son from his file?

A little back story. He contacted my mother after 7yrs offering to give child support. He started giving $140 a month which is not enough. He asked for a favor, a letter that indicates the reason why the child isn't joining him in canada. I told him sure, ill provide the letter in return for adding a $100 in his monthly child support but he refused. Told me that the immigration lawyer told him to stop the child support if i refused to provided the letter.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, my ex partner just arrived in alberta last November 2023 he added our child in his file when he applied for PR. The problem is my son never knew him or had any contact to him when we separated in 2016. Now he wanted the child to be with him in canada but my son refuses to go since he doesn't know his bio-dad. Is there a way to remove my son from his file?

A little back story. He contacted my mother after 7yrs offering to give child support. He started giving $140 a month which is not enough. He asked for a favor, a letter that indicates the reason why the child isn't joining him in canada. I told him sure, ill provide the letter in return for adding a $100 in his monthly child support but he refused. Told me that the immigration lawyer told him to stop the child support if i refused to provided the letter.
If the child is under 22 it is very difficult to not include a child in your application. IRCC is very reluctant to allow applications to be processed without including all children under 22 because there were so many cases where children grew up and then wanted PR. It will delay your application significantly and you may not be able to not include them on your application. You have to show that you have done everything possible including all legal options to try to get your child to do their medical and be included on your PR application. It would be much better to include your child from the beginning instead of trying to fight to not include them.