+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Removed from Canada as a minor, apparently still hold PR status, is it for life?

Gregsterfive

Jan 7, 2018
Hi all, I would really appreciate some help / clarification as I am stuck.
I am a UK resident living in the US. Recently I needed to travel to Canada for work and applied for eTA, which was refused. The reason was given that I am a Canadian Permanent resident therefore need PR card or travel documents to travel to Canada. I lived in Canada 1982-1984 and was removed by my parents at the age of 4 - they went back to UK. I have contacted Canadian Embassy here in the US and they said that in order to travel to Canada I will need the PR travel documents and sent me a link to application. I don't meet the requirements though, as obviously I haven't lived in Canada for 33 years, and I didn't even know that I had PR status, and my parents didn't know either. They said they applied for PR at the time but weren't sure what happend as they left. It feels that I am stuck - obviously would love to keep the PR status in Canada but don't want to move there, maybe in the future. Also would like to be able to travel to Canada for work and pleasure, which feels that I can't at the moment. Thanks

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
PR status never expires, unless it is revoked by yhe government or renounced by you. Applying for a travel document would likely result in a refusal given your absence from Canada for 33years. When that happens, the IRCC will start the process to revoke your status. You could appeal, but with 33 years away and no intention of settling in the near future, it would realistically be pointless. You can also renounce yourself and then apply for the visa. Either way, anytime you travel to Canada, you will encounter issues at entry until it’s resolved.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Keeping your old PR status will be next to impossible. Apply to officially renounce your PR status. Once that's done - you won't have issues obtaining an ETA.

R

rish888

A PRTD have a virtually nil chance of being approved. Even on the off chance you get a PRTD it's not going to help since you don't want move to Canada now.

I'd just renounce and get an eTA. You can always look into Canada's immigration streams if you want to move there for good.

The one option you have to "have your cake and eat it too" so to speak is to enter Canada at a land border. This doesn't require an eTA, and depending on the immigration officer you encounter you'll either be let into Canda issue free. (either because the officer doesn't realize you're a PR or because s/he is not in the mood to report you.) or will begin the process to revoke your PR status. You can always avoid getting your PR status forcibly taken from you by renouncing it at the border and requesting to enter as a visitor.

However even on the off chance that you manage to enter Canada it's still not going to help (same as the PRTD) because you don't want to move now. (p.s. once in Canada you need to stay 2 years without foreign travel to retain your PR status.) So it seems pretty silly to drive all the way to the border to take a chance that even if you get you're not gonna utilize. I just mentioned this so you know all your options.