+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Remote Work While Waiting for Restoration of Status

Nov 13, 2019
I had a technical issue with my online Post Grad Work Permit application and couldn't get into my account and provide the last document they requested before the application could be accepted, so they had to reject it and now I just sent out my application for restoration of status as a worker AND the PGWP. I'm waiting to hear back, but I know it could take up to four months most likely.

My question now would be, is working remotely in Canada for a US based company that pays to a US bank account legal without status here? I am not asking to receive backlash for doing this because I haven't done anything yet - I genuinely do not want to break the law while I wait for a response to my application, and so that's why I'm asking! I know I read that remote work is not considered 'work' when it's for an employer outside of Canada: 'Long distance (by telephone or Internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada;'

HOWEVER, this is for a temporary resident. I am waiting on restoration of status - therefore, I do not have any status here (so I don't know if this would apply to my situation). I've read a lot of conflicting views, so I just want to be safe before I do anything and risk putting myself and my application in jeopardy. I am NOT looking for advice on how to do this under the table if it's illegal - I am wanting to know if it IS legal, because if not then I definitely don't want to do it.

Would love some input here if anyone has any on this matter! Thank you so much!