+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Remote Work (non-Canadian co) & a Visitor Visa

MattFS218

Apr 2, 2016
I am wondering how CIC views remote work while in Canada on a tourist visa. Can someone come to visit a friend/family member, and work remotely from Canada (for a foreign company)? For example answering e-mails, etc, without the worry of breaking the law or misrepresentation? A friend is a remote worker, and travels often staying in one place for an extended period of time. One of the notes on your ATIP is that her travel pattern is inconsistent with full-time employment. She works remotely, and we thought that was clear on your application.

TIA.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I am wondering how CIC views remote work while in Canada on a tourist visa. Can someone come to visit a friend/family member, and work remotely from Canada (for a foreign company)? For example answering e-mails, etc, without the worry of breaking the law or misrepresentation? A friend is a remote worker, and travels often staying in one place for an extended period of time. One of the notes on your ATIP is that her travel pattern is inconsistent with full-time employment. She works remotely, and we thought that was clear on your application.

TIA.
1. As long as there is not a Canadian subsidiary nor working for a Canadian client, it's fine.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

TIA.
Employer must not have Canadian offices or have customers or clients in Canada. Canada wants proof that someone is not coming to live in Canada and is only visiting. If the person doesn’t have ties to their home country (property, job located in the country, dependent family members, etc.) that creates concerns that they won’t return home.