+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Remote work from another country

ashwinpal

Oct 21, 2021
Hi all,

I accepted my ITA 3 weeks ago and I was gathering documents. However, out of the 1 year work exp in Canada for CEC, I worked for a Canadian company for 5 months outside of Canada (many at work were working remote at that time). Now I am confused as to how to proceed with my application as I think it is actually not considered for CEC. I already accepted the invite and did upfront medicals. I already have a PCC which I think wouldn't be valid until I am eligible again. If anyone can answer the following questions that would be very nice:

1. Should I decline the application now and create a new profile? (this is my third profile) I was not able to apply previously due to personal situation before.
2. Can I update the form with my work history in such a way that my current job is split in 3 rows. First 2 months work from Canada, next 5 work from India (foreign work exp), next 2 work from Canada (current) ? If I do this, can I upload the same documents for all 3 of them, and will this create any issue?
3. Or if I do not need the foreign work exp points for those 5 months, can I just have my whole work exp of current job (including those 5 months I was away as well) as Canadian experience and apply 5 months later once I get 12 month Canadian exp?
4. Should I redo PCC ?
5. I can see medical is valid for 12 months and I did mine just about 2 weeks back, is that good if I create a new profile and apply again in around 6 months?

Any help is highly appreciated, thanks very much!

Reactions: classico33

classico33

Jul 4, 2023
Hi did you get PR i am also in a similar situation.
In the same spot. Have 9mo of work experience outside canada while travelling and working for a canadian company. All paystubs, taxes and bank statements in Canada. Wondering if I can combine this 9mo of work exp with 1yr 3mo in-canada-exp for 2 years of canadian or 1 year canadian + 1 year foreign.

Did you get your PR? What did you end up doing?

dh627

Jan 19, 2023
Hey @classico33, I turned down the ITA on the advice from a lawyer, who confirmed that work done for a Canadian company outside of Canada would not count towards the 52 week requirement for CEC. Very annoying as I haven't had an ITA since.

Reactions: classico33

classico33

Jul 4, 2023
Hey @classico33, I turned down the ITA on the advice from a lawyer, who confirmed that work done for a Canadian company outside of Canada would not count towards the 52 week requirement for CEC. Very annoying as I haven't had an ITA since.
That is very unfortunate. I am sorry to hear that. What is your CRS right now?

classico33

Jul 4, 2023
They days that I worked outside Canada are not considered for CEC. I had to compensate those days before applying.
Ahh gotcha. Did you end up getting your PR? Wishing you the best of luck.

Is this true even for claiming it for points towards your second year of experience?

Vinoth95

Star Member
Dec 2, 2019
Ahh gotcha. Did you end up getting your PR? Wishing you the best of luck.

Is this true even for claiming it for points towards your second year of experience?
Thanks. I just applied for pr couple of days ago. Not really sure about your question.

classico33

Jul 4, 2023
Thanks. I just applied for pr couple of days ago. Not really sure about your question.
Good luck! I already have 1 year of canadian experience. Just wondering if I can combine the additional 3mo of canadian experience I have with my 9months of "foreign experience" (travelling while working for canadian company and getting paid in canada).