+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Remote work for Us company while PR is processing

Cal225

Jun 22, 2020
Hey all,
I am being sponsored by my wife as inland, up to this point I have been working remotely for a US company as a software developer. Recently I was laid off and am looking for work while waiting for owp to arrive.

Can I work remotely for a US company that has a Canadian branch? I don't believe I would be at all associated with the Canadian branch nor working for Canadian clients.

So far I have steered clear of companies that have holdings/branches in Canada.
It's really unclear what the rules are with multinational organizations.

Thanks in advance for any advice

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
This probably isn't the greatest answer, but I'd be asking a lot more than this forum. You're dealing with tax implications alongside residency restrictions. Ultimately, I believe that the country of the company that you work for would involve a lot of different factors, including what division cuts your paycheques, whether or not you'd be providing a social security number or SIN number, whether or not you'd have to fill out an I-9, and so on. However, I'd have a litany of questions regarding the transaction - where do I file taxes? Does this violate any terms of my staying in Canada, regardless of who I work for? You're dealing with two sets of very arcane laws, and I'd be getting some fairly expert commentary before I did anything.