+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Remote Work Experience

yousufkh

Star Member
May 25, 2015
Hi

I need your help on my situation. I am working for a US based company from last 7 years as a full time Web Developer remotely while being in Pakistan at my home office. The company has been paying me regularly for my work as full time developer. I can get reference letter and experience document from the company anytime as i am currently working with the same company.

- Will this be considered as a work experience?
- What documents i need to show that i have been working for XX company for several years?

Please advise.

Thanks

fazilasadiq

Dec 30, 2017
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-05-2018
Hi

I need your help on my situation. I am working for a US based company from last 7 years as a full time Web Developer remotely while being in Pakistan at my home office. The company has been paying me regularly for my work as full time developer. I can get reference letter and experience document from the company anytime as i am currently working with the same company.

- Will this be considered as a work experience?
- What documents i need to show that i have been working for XX company for several years?

Please advise.

Thanks
yes of course this is work experience. You need reference letter mentioning that you work full time (min 30 hours) and monthly paid xyzzy amount. Letter should also mention your job duties which should match the NOC code you select. NOC code should be in category O,A or B.
You can submit your payslips, bank statement showing monthly salary, offer letter, salary increment letter, basically anything that proves that you have worked continuously for xx company.

fazilasadiq

Dec 30, 2017
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-05-2018
this letter should be on company's letter head with their contact information.

yousufkh

Star Member
May 25, 2015
Thank you so much for your quick response. Yes i'll get all these documents to show that i have been working as full time with XX company. My employer is ready to provide all these. One more quick question, i have been paid through PayPal that subsequently comes to my bank account in Pakistan as my salary, should i attach both statements with my application?

fazilasadiq

Dec 30, 2017
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-05-2018
Thank you so much for your quick response. Yes i'll get all these documents to show that i have been working as full time with XX company. My employer is ready to provide all these. One more quick question, i have been paid through PayPal that subsequently comes to my bank account in Pakistan as my salary, should i attach both statements with my application?
Yes attach as many proofs as possible. Its better to provide a little extra documents rather than getting a rejection.

Jul 13, 2018
Hi,

First, sorry to post this here if I'm in the wrong thread, but I think this is the best thread to post this on.

Can it be considered as Canadian work experience if I've been working remotely for a Canadian company, since 2011, the agreement in writing was a freelance remote work, but in actuality been working with them full time Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm EST since 2011. All done in computer over the internet and VOIP. My salary was paid thru bank wire transfer every two weeks. I am obviously not living in Canada. Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks so much!

earnest5151

Sep 22, 2018
Hi,

I have a similar situation like the original thread post. I work remotely full-time for a US based company from my home country.

When filling out the express entry profile, I came across a section called as 'Work History' wherein they ask the company name followed by fields: Country, State and City.

Since I am working for the US based company, should the Country, State and City fields in the 'Work History' section have the information of the US company or should it be the information about where I work or perform my job i.e. my home country?

Thanks !!

derkdsou

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2018
Have you been able to find an answer to this? I have the same question as well.

Hi,

I have a similar situation like the original thread post. I work remotely full-time for a US based company from my home country.

When filling out the express entry profile, I came across a section called as 'Work History' wherein they ask the company name followed by fields: Country, State and City.

Since I am working for the US based company, should the Country, State and City fields in the 'Work History' section have the information of the US company or should it be the information about where I work or perform my job i.e. my home country?

Thanks !!

km260319

Mar 26, 2019
Hi,

First, sorry to post this here if I'm in the wrong thread, but I think this is the best thread to post this on.

Can it be considered as Canadian work experience if I've been working remotely for a Canadian company, since 2011, the agreement in writing was a freelance remote work, but in actuality been working with them full time Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm EST since 2011. All done in computer over the internet and VOIP. My salary was paid thru bank wire transfer every two weeks. I am obviously not living in Canada. Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks so much!
Hello there!
According to the most recent Ministerial Instructions by the Minister, it would not qualify as Canadian experience if you're working remotely for a Canadian company. See the quote below. I could not find anywhere where remote work for a Canadian company would qualify as Canadian experience. (hope this helps.)

Canadian work experience

(3) For the purposes of this section, Canadian work experience is work experience that
  • (a) is acquired by a foreign national in Canada in one or more occupations listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix;
  • (b) consists of full-time work experience, or the full-time equivalent for part-time work experience, with one or more employers;
  • (c) is acquired within the 10-year period preceding the day on which points are assigned to the foreign national under subsection (1); and
  • (d) is remunerated by the payment of wages or a commission

Link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/ministerial-instructions/express-entry-application-management-system/current.html

km260319

Mar 26, 2019
Hi,

Thanks !!
It should be Country/City where you are currently working and not the country where the company is based.

In the future, I'd hope to see IRCC provide an option to specify the country of the company to consider the effect of globalization, which has allowed us to work for other companies outside our home country.