+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Remote US Work during Leisure Visit

photo21

Jun 8, 2020
Hi,

I am a US citizen planning a trip to visit my girlfriend in Canada for 3 weeks. However, to afford a place to stay I’d need to remotely continue my consulting job based out of USA while in Canada. The work id be doing is in no way related to the Canadian labor market (no Canadian clients, taxed in NY, I could theoretically work remote anywhere). It’s also incidental, as I’m visiting Canada to visit friends and tour a city, not to pursue a work opportunity. Would I need a work permit or visa to do this?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I am a US citizen planning a trip to visit my girlfriend in Canada for 3 weeks. However, to afford a place to stay I’d need to remotely continue my consulting job based out of USA while in Canada. The work id be doing is in no way related to the Canadian labor market (no Canadian clients, taxed in NY, I could theoretically work remote anywhere). It’s also incidental, as I’m visiting Canada to visit friends and tour a city, not to pursue a work opportunity. Would I need a work permit or visa to do this?
Assume you know that you’ll need to remain in quarantine for 14 days. You either have to stay alone or girlfriend will need to remain inside with you and quarantine for 14 days. Hopefully she lives in her own home or else quarantining there will not be possible either way. Yes you can work remotely if your employer has no clients or offices in Canada.