+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

remarrying/sponsor my former husband

midnight_sun

Nov 6, 2010
Hi everyone,
Good to have found this forum! I have a question here:
My husband and I legally divorced several years ago, after which I applied for immigration to Canada as a skilled worker. Got accepted and landed in the beginning of this year. Before leaving for Canada, things changed and me and my husband reunited with each other (we had been friends and worked together all this time after the divorce). A few months ago we came to Canada together (he was visa exempted) and felt like that we wouldn't want to separate from each other anymore so we remarried each other here in Canada.
Would like to hear your opinion if our relationship sounds suspicious? In our case, can I still sponsor him as my spouse? As I read from somewhere sometime ago that former spouse is excluded relationship from this sponsorship (I did list him on my own PR application as my former hubby as we already divorced at that time)? Also do I have to reside here (in Canada) for at least one year to be able to sponsor him? I landed in Jan. and went back home and we reunited and came together in July.
We plan to apply outland for him through London and right now are waiting for his visa extension which we have just filed online. Any chance that he will be denied for this (extension)??
Thank you all!!

KimJuliBC

Oct 18, 2010
midnight_sun said:
Hi everyone,
Good to have found this forum! I have a question here:
My husband and I legally divorced several years ago, after which I applied for immigration to Canada as a skilled worker. Got accepted and landed in the beginning of this year. Before leaving for Canada, things changed and me and my husband reunited with each other (we had been friends and worked together all this time after the divorce). A few months ago we came to Canada together (he was visa exempted) and felt like that we wouldn't want to separate from each other anymore so we remarried each other here in Canada.
Would like to hear your opinion if our relationship sounds suspicious? In our case, can I still sponsor him as my spouse? As I read from somewhere sometime ago that former spouse is excluded relationship from this sponsorship (I did list him on my own PR application as my former hubby as we already divorced at that time)? Also do I have to reside here (in Canada) for at least one year to be able to sponsor him? I landed in Jan. and went back home and we reunited and came together in July.
We plan to apply outland for him through London and right now are waiting for his visa extension which we have just filed online. Any chance that he will be denied for this (extension)??
Thank you all!!
First: warning, because we are new to the forum and to the process. We are gathering and making our application (inland) ready to submit. But we have been reading a lot in this complicated immigration process. There is nothing against you to reuinte and remarried again. It is your freedom. You can sponsor him any time and you do not need to wait for one year. But you need to reside in Canada, in order to be eligible to sponsor him. You need to submit loads of evidence and proof of your genuine marriage, so it does not appear as if you both remarried ONLY to get him to Canada. Regarding his extension: I guess there is a good chance he will be rejected. It depends on what reasons you gave for his extension. Hope the opposite.
Hope other senior members come correct us if we are wrong.

suenim

Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
NONE
LANDED..........
April 2011
You will definitely need a very strong application because there may be more scrutiny. You said you divorced then applied for permanent residency. There is something called dissolution of convenience which CIC looks at so be very prepared with your application.

midnight_sun

Nov 6, 2010
Hi, thanks for your reply. We have thrown away a lot things in the past months which could be used as "evidence"... In the middle of gathering those from family and friends now.

We applied for his extension saying that we're now remarried and in the middle of preparing for his application (which are all true), and would like to wait for the result. Why you think there is a good chance to be rejected? Can you please explain?

Thank!

midnight_sun

Nov 6, 2010
Thanks for your replies!

We separated in early 2006 and the divorce became final 6 months after the separation. I applied in early 2007 as a skilled worker. Thinking back, my points for independent immigration would be enough for both of us if we were still happily married at that time. :(

KimJuliBC

Oct 18, 2010
midnight_sun said:
Hi, thanks for your reply. We have thrown away a lot things in the past months which could be used as "evidence"... In the middle of gathering those from family and friends now.

We applied for his extension saying that we're now remarried and in the middle of preparing for his application (which are all true), and would like to wait for the result. Why you think there is a good chance to be rejected? Can you please explain?Thank!
We bellieve he will be refused for the reasons you submitted to immigration on a silver plate. You were honest and said the truth. But the truth hurts. You are telling them that you are remarried and in middle of preparation for sponsorship. It means that he is here to stay forever and not to go back. You have given the key for immigration to throw him out of the country. I am so sorry, but that is how we think of it

KimJuliBC

Oct 18, 2010
suenim said:
You will definitely need a very strong application because there may be more scrutiny. You said you divorced then applied for permanent residency. There is something called dissolution of convenience which CIC looks at so be very prepared with your application.
Dear suenim

Excuse our ignorance:
what is the "dissolution of convenience"?

wes786

VIP Member
Sep 6, 2010
Stay positive and gather some strong evidence to prove that your relationship is genuine and hope for the best! Good Luck!

KimJuliBC

Oct 18, 2010
midnight_sun said:
Thanks a lot WES786! I'm still very sad...
Just we need to make sure you understood our post correctly. Rejection or refusal: we were talking about your application for extension. Your sponsorship application is another direction. We believe (with strong proof) you will be fine

midnight_sun

Nov 6, 2010
Ya thanks KimJuliBC. I understood what you said.
I was also sad to hear the possibilities for his extension... Well we planned to submit the sponsorship/immigration application this month but just applied for his Police clearance which will take a couple of months so not ready for that application yet. Still don't understand why you can submit both immigration and extension applications at the same time but not separately?

KimJuliBC

Oct 18, 2010
midnight_sun said:
Ya thanks KimJuliBC. I understood what you said.
I was also sad to hear the possibilities for his extension... Well we planned to submit the sponsorship/immigration application this month but just applied for his Police clearance which will take a couple of months so not ready for that application yet. Still don't understand why you can submit both immigration and extension applications at the same time but not separately?
In your circumstances: it is faster, safer and easier to apply outland not inland. There is a high chance his extension visa (as visitor) will be denied. As he does not need visa to enter Canada, then he can leave and try come back. There is a small possibility he can be turned back because of his sponsorship application (in process). ..but this is again rare.

yulye

Oct 21, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2010
We bellieve he will be refused for the reasons you submitted to immigration on a silver plate. You were honest and said the truth. But the truth hurts. You are telling them that you are remarried and in middle of preparation for sponsorship. It means that he is here to stay forever and not to go back. You have given the key for immigration to throw him out of the country. I am so sorry, but that is how we think of it
Don't worry *too* much! It's very possible that your honesty will pay off, too.

I just wanted to encourage you with our experience... when my partner (from a visa-exempt country) first came to Canada, he was issued a visitor visa for 4 months at the border. He was honest and told them he was coming to live with his girlfriend, and was going to apply for a Work & Travel work permit for the following year's intake. They allowed him in, and when his visitor visa expired, he still didn't have a work permit, so we went to the border to try to get an extension on the visitor visa. We told them our intentions of applying as common-law for PR once we had lived together for 1 year, and that we were beginning to get our inland application together. We also told them that he was still waiting to apply for the work permit (they only take so many people per year, so we were waiting until January to apply for the following year.) They issued him a 6 month visitor visa, and wished us "good luck" on our PR application.

We had proof of funds in our bank account at the border, and were honest and well-informed about our plan. I know that you sent your application extension by mail, but I wanted to encourage you that not *all* of the officers are inhumane or cruel. With immigration, honesty really is the best policy - don't lose hope!

Good luck!

midnight_sun

Nov 6, 2010
Ok million thanks for the info!! In case he's denied an extension, we might just go to the U.S. and come back. I suppose that should work for another 6 months - I mean if we have submitted his application for landing through outland by then.