+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Remark Success rate

Woqi114

Nov 15, 2017
I know most of you here are struggling to get past the magic number 7 for writing. Perhaps you haven't realized that you are following wrong advises and guides.

I have followed famous IELTS websites like IELTS Liz, E2 English, Makkar and a whole bunch of other videos and website. One thing I now know is that they all are teaching the wrong method to approach writing. Just to give you an example, if you think there are 5 or 7 types of essay, the reality is there is just one type.

There is a free e-book called "IELTS TEACHER – THE KEY TO IELTS SUCCESS" written by Pauline Cullen and available for download on her website IELTS Weekly. She is from Cambridge and the same person who wrote the Cambridge Official guide to IELTS.

Trust me, it is highly worth your time and you will be surprised to learn how many misconceptions and wrong methods you have got which makes you stuck at band 6.5.
Nobody can be sure of a perfect way around and there's no sure shot strategy to score a 7 or 7.5. It's like whoever touches that ceiling comes up with their own strategy which they felt might have worked even if they were unsure of their writing performance while coming out of the exam hall.

Why I'm saying that? well, I scored 7.5 in writing(Yes, a 7.5!) when I sat for my first attempt and I didn't even know who Liz and Jay were. I didn't follow any specific strategy and wrote what came into my mind but used examplea and some good vocabulary. That time, I got a 7.5 in L so had to go through another attempt quite recently. What was different this time? A 6.5 in writing but a perfect score in all other modules and you won't believe me, I followed one of the tutor in a rote learner style but still got a damned 6.5 and I'm still unsure what went wrong so a Eor is currently in progress.

Ziya Zen

Feb 9, 2019
I know most of you here are struggling to get past the magic number 7 for writing. Perhaps you haven't realized that you are following wrong advises and guides.

I have followed famous IELTS websites like IELTS Liz, E2 English, Makkar and a whole bunch of other videos and website. One thing I now know is that they all are teaching the wrong method to approach writing. Just to give you an example, if you think there are 5 or 7 types of essay, the reality is there is just one type.

There is a free e-book called "IELTS TEACHER – THE KEY TO IELTS SUCCESS" written by Pauline Cullen and available for download on her website IELTS Weekly. She is from Cambridge and the same person who wrote the Cambridge Official guide to IELTS.

Trust me, it is highly worth your time and you will be surprised to learn how many misconceptions and wrong methods you have got which makes you stuck at band 6.5.
Makkar is such a misleading one.

mkerala

Jun 5, 2019
Nobody can be sure of a perfect way around and there's no sure shot strategy to score a 7 or 7.5. It's like whoever touches that ceiling comes up with their own strategy which they felt might have worked even if they were unsure of their writing performance while coming out of the exam hall.

Why I'm saying that? well, I scored 7.5 in writing(Yes, a 7.5!) when I sat for my first attempt and I didn't even know who Liz and Jay were. I didn't follow any specific strategy and wrote what came into my mind but used examplea and some good vocabulary. That time, I got a 7.5 in L so had to go through another attempt quite recently. What was different this time? A 6.5 in writing but a perfect score in all other modules and you won't believe me, I followed one of the tutor in a rote learner style but still got a damned 6.5 and I'm still unsure what went wrong so a Eor is currently in progress.
I am in the same boat as you. If you can believe me, I scored 8 in writing on my second attempt. I thought it was because of method I learned from IELTS Liz videos. But my next attempt I got 6, yes I went from 8 to 6. Only recently I realized, she is a good teacher, but got wrong methods for some question types(Opinion, discussion, Advantage/disadvantage) hence my score fluctuates.

Trust me, just read "IELTS TEACHER – THE KEY TO IELTS SUCCESS" and it will chance your perception of IELTS upside down.

Woqi114

Nov 15, 2017
Dear members,
I applied for EOR through BC for writing only (6.5 bands) on 15 May and today I received the below message.
Dear Candidate,
Your request for Enquiry in Results is now complete and there is a Change in the scores. Please send your original TRF within 3-4 days, so that new results can be issued.
Regards,
British Council
Does this mean my band has gone up? I read somewhere that band either improves or remains same. Please update if you have received this message from BC and your band has reduced. Thanks.
Good to hear that! Most likely the band would have gone up. What was your score? Mine is the same date of applying for Eor and I got acknowledgement on 22nd MayCould you please tell me when did you get the acknowledgement ans was it a 27th April pen and paper based test?

crs350onip

Feb 23, 2019
Pakistan
NOC Code......
Dear members,
I applied for EOR through BC for writing only (6.5 bands) on 15 May and today I received the below message.
Dear Candidate,
Your request for Enquiry in Results is now complete and there is a Change in the scores. Please send your original TRF within 3-4 days, so that new results can be issued.
Regards,
British Council
Does this mean my band has gone up? I read somewhere that band either improves or remains same. Please update if you have received this message from BC and your band has reduced. Thanks.

Congrats buddy. I cannot comment on your new scores but Let me assure you one thing there is nothing between a 6.5 and a 7 in other words the scores won’t go down at all. Just follow their guidelines and submit the TRF.

One more thing, did you received the SMS or EMAIL ?

May I also suggest to check the score online with same parameters (if test date results are available)

Sadwant

Jun 7, 2019
Good to hear that! Most likely the band would have gone up. What was your score? Mine is the same date of applying for Eor and I got acknowledgement on 22nd MayCould you please tell me when did you get the acknowledgement ans was it a 27th April pen and paper based test?
Test date: April 27th
Result received on May 10th LRSW: 8.5, 7.5, 7, 6.5
Applied for EOR on 13th May for writing only and got confirmation from BC on 15th May that EOR process has started.

Sadwant

Jun 7, 2019
Congrats buddy. I cannot comment on your new scores but Let me assure you one thing there is nothing between a 6.5 and a 7 in other words the scores won’t go down at all. Just follow their guidelines and submit the TRF.

One more thing, did you received the SMS or EMAIL ?

May I also suggest to check the score online with same parameters (if test date results are available)
I received SMS from BC. No email. I have submitted my old TRF today by courier.

Reactions: crs350onip

TripleE01

May 24, 2019
Dear members,
Dear Candidate,
Regards,
British Council
Sure!!!!

mkerala

Jun 5, 2019
Please let us know once you have received the report
Have you received your courier?
As expected, the outcome was score unchanged for both modules (speaking/Writing). I had a such a high hope in both and thought 7 scores would be changed to 7.5.

For others: If they don't send you SMS/Email about change and despatch the result via courier, then we can confirm there is no change in score.

crs350onip

Feb 23, 2019
Pakistan
NOC Code......
As expected, the outcome was score unchanged for both modules (speaking/Writing). I had a such a high hope in both and thought 7 scores would be changed to 7.5.

For others: If they don't send you SMS/Email about change and despatch the result via courier, then we can confirm there is no change in score.
Sorry to hear that, can you please share the complete timeline and scores ?

mkerala

Jun 5, 2019
Sorry to hear that, can you please share the complete timeline and scores ?
Timeline:-

Exam date: 27-Apr-2019
Result date: 10-May-2019
Score: 8.5, 9, 7, 7 (LRWS) (I need 7.5 in W/S)
EOR: 14-May-2019
EOR Result(As in the letter): 29 May
EOR Result Despatch: 03 Jun 2019
EOR Result Received: 05 Jun 2019
Outcome: score unchanged

taurus123

Apr 1, 2018
First of all, my humble request is to just read that book. Even reading two page is enough to understand what I am really talking about. I couldn't have agreed with you more if I hadn't stumble up on Pauline's blog and book.

Let me ask you why do you trust these tutors so much? I agree that Google search result ranks them on top and they got many followers who successfully cracked 7+ writing. Other than that who are they really? Some of of them claims to be a teachers, but haven't published their credentials or qualifications. Important thing to note here is that they aren't even remotely related to IELTS examinations bodies(Cambridge, British council, IDP) in any official capacity. So how do they come up with guides or methods to crack IELTS?

Pauline on the other hand is from Cambridge English Assessment who prepares the IELTS questions and she has co-authored the Cambridge Official guide for IELTS. She has been working with Cambridge from 1991 as an examiner. You can read more about her on Cambridge website itself.

My question is who do you trust? Someone on the internet with lot of followers or Official IELTS examiner working at Cambridge for the last 30 years?

This would be my last post on this as I am not here to start an argument or debate. Its up to you whether to take my advise or reject it.
Its great to see a Pauline fan here.. Glad to see someone following her here.
Did you appear after reading her book and posts? How has been your experience. She is indeed an authority on IELTS. Unfortunately, most of the people do not know that she is one of the authors of the Official Guide To Cambridge IELTS.
Please share your writing experience, how did it go? I am sorry if you have shared it before, I have not following this thread all along.

Reactions: mkerala

mkerala

Jun 5, 2019
Its great to see a Pauline fan here.. Glad to see someone following her here.
Did you appear after reading her book and posts? How has been your experience. She is indeed an authority on IELTS. Unfortunately, most of the people do not know that she is one of the authors of the Official Guide To Cambridge IELTS.
Please share your writing experience, how did it go? I am sorry if you have shared it before, I have not following this thread all along.
Glad to know I am not alone. No, I am yet to appear for one. Before that, I need to brush up my writing skills following her guidelines.