+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Remaining legal status

rosas

Mar 29, 2021
Hello,

I am in Canada since April 2020 on a visitor visa. My wife is a Canadian citizen and I have applied for permanent residency. I have applied for a visitor record in September, since my visa was only valid for 6 months. I did not hear back from the authorities about this application, so I guess I'm having "implied status" currently. The PR application was finished in November and we received a confirmation of the application. Now the second phase of 6 months is almost ending and I am a bit worried what to do. I have heard that one can apply for a visitor record multiple times, but I did not even hear back from them the first time... I would be very happy about your suggestions. I really do not want to be separated from my wife, but I fear that would happen if I leave Canada because of all the current travel restrictions because of the pandemic. I also do not think that Canada wants to separate their citizens from the spouses right now... But what can I do to be safe regarding my status?

Many thanks!

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello,

I am in Canada since April 2020 on a visitor visa. My wife is a Canadian citizen and I have applied for permanent residency. I have applied for a visitor record in September, since my visa was only valid for 6 months. I did not hear back from the authorities about this application, so I guess I'm having "implied status" currently. The PR application was finished in November and we received a confirmation of the application. Now the second phase of 6 months is almost ending and I am a bit worried what to do. I have heard that one can apply for a visitor record multiple times, but I did not even hear back from them the first time... I would be very happy about your suggestions. I really do not want to be separated from my wife, but I fear that would happen if I leave Canada because of all the current travel restrictions because of the pandemic. I also do not think that Canada wants to separate their citizens from the spouses right now... But what can I do to be safe regarding my status?

Many thanks!
Try submitting a web form regarding the TRV extension to make sure they have it. Yes multiple extensions can be requested. Not sure what you should do apart from that since you haven't heard back regarding the extension you requested. When did you apply for PR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your timeline is not abnormal. I would assume that you will hear about the visitor record soon but you can send in a webform to enquire about processing. Did you apply for OWP with sponsorship? Did you get AOR for the OWP?

KingKcaj

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
We try to apply the visitor visa extension also back in Jan, and still no update other than they received it. Also when you look at the processing time on the ircc website for visitor visa extension is actually showing as 207 days, which is longer than the max 6 month extension. I am not sure how this works out. We are just hoping we get our OWP approved before then.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We try to apply the visitor visa extension also back in Jan, and still no update other than they received it. Also when you look at the processing time on the ircc website for visitor visa extension is actually showing as 207 days, which is longer than the max 6 month extension. I am not sure how this works out. We are just hoping we get our OWP approved before then.
You are on implied status until you get a response even if it is over 6 months. Assume there is a good chance of approval. If you already have an AOR from your OWP then you have implied status from that and don't need to worry about extending your visitor status.

Reactions: YVR123