+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Relocation, but to which province in Canada!!!

vjvikas86

Jan 16, 2016
I have received my copr and am planning to relocate in month of June. But I am confused where to go - Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary or Winnipeg.
I am a chemical engineer with experience in sales and business development. Looking for move and job in energy sector.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
If you're specifically interested in the energy sector, then Calgary is your best option. However, with the current drop in oil prices, there's high job loss in the sector. Perhaps you can do some searches on job boards to get a feel of what opportunities are available in the sector - some hiring still goes on.

That said, it'd help if you got a feel of the cost of living in each city and do a comparison. Vancouver is on the very high side, for example.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Bear in mind those four cities have vastly different climates too.

Vancouver is probably the warmest (and possibly wettest) but you are unlikely to get to -30C. It also won't get as hot in the summer.
All the others will (with windchill - here in TO that regularly drops the temp by 10C in winter). But I don't believe you will have the same humidity issues in Calgary/Winnipeg as in Toronto.

Toronto is 2nd in price only to Vancouver, followed by Calgary and Winnipeg I imagine. In my experiences salary doesn't fully make up the differences unless you are so experienced/senior that's not an issue.

Are you relocating alone? If you have a family you'll want to include that (schools for example) in your considerations.

markarbet

Star Member
Feb 24, 2016
Probably Toronto will be best for you because the chemical industry located there. Vancouver is mostly for the services industry.

vjvikas86

Jan 16, 2016
Well thank you people for your replies.
I have got the hang of expenditures from sites like numbeo, expatistan.
My present role is not more in technical side (like operation, production etc.) but more in business development and sales of good.
Just for information and knowledge, isn't Toronto more inclined to software and it sector.

Also considering cost of living i think only Winnipeg will be cheap but the other 3 will be in similar lines only.

Considering it will take me atleast 2-3 months for finding a decent joband being a bachelor which city will be more viable.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Chose Alberta or Toronto.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ankurshah2003 said:
I Live in Toronto since almost 4 years, I have visited everywhere in Canada, and finally i settled in Toronto, as per Job Prospectus as well as community tie-ups.

Toronto is currently the best city to live..So I can give you a advice for Toronto
Living in one city and visiting elsewhere is different. Having lived in both Toronto and Vancouver, I would say Vancouver is a better city to live in general. It all depends on the location. However, I understand why you said Toronto because you have a settlement business and you want people to hire your services.

Btw, the unemployment rate of BC is among the lowest in Canada:

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/05/bc-unemployment-rate/

mcadam

Star Member
Sep 6, 2015
steaky said:
Living in one city and visiting elsewhere is different. Having lived in both Toronto and Vancouver, I would say Vancouver is a better city to live in general. It all depends on the location. However, I understand why you said Toronto because you have a settlement business and you want people to hire your services.

Btw, the unemployment rate of BC is among the lowest in Canada:

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/05/bc-unemployment-rate/
Hi steaky,

Thanks for your opinion here +1. I just got PPR and looking to do my landing in July. Vancouver is my first choice mainly based on the WEATHER and socio-economic factors. However, I think I can only do a short landing for now as I am currently pursuing a doctoral degree till 2017. Please where can I find the most reliable information on settling in BC? I am so lost on the way forward after PPR. :'( As a matter of fact, I have little or no clue on most things Canadian! Thanks...

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mcadam said:
Hi steaky,

Thanks for your opinion here +1. I just got PPR and looking to do my landing in July. Vancouver is my first choice mainly based on the WEATHER and socio-economic factors. However, I think I can only do a short landing for now as I am currently pursuing a doctoral degree till 2017. Please where can I find the most reliable information on settling in BC? I am so lost on the way forward after PPR. :'( As a matter of fact, I have little or no clue on most things Canadian! Thanks...
What sort of information are you looking for?

If driving, then check icbc.com
If health care, check www.health.gov.bc.ca/insurance

milo2015

Star Member
Dec 24, 2014
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
vjvikas86

I'd like to add:
1. Your first preference should be where you see many jobs or related to your field (checkout job banks like indeed.ca etc) and have an idea & then choose.
2. If you have a family then take in to consideration other factors as well like health care facilities,better education,good environment,people's attitude in that particular area. Selecting Toronto or Vancouver blindly is not a good decision.

i have lived in Halifax ,NS ,Ottawa and GTA(Toronto area) and the worst place in my experience is Toronto (specifically Brampton,Mississauga,GTOWN and other linked areas).

why:
1. Worst experience everytime at Service Ontario (trust me you'll go there no matter what).Serv Ontario agents treat people (especially immigrants)like shit. There are long line ups even if you go in weekday early mornings. you can check google reviews as well.
2. Long waiting times at physicians and labs (doctors always accepts patients and its always crowded no matter what). Most of the time doctors are in rush and dont pay attention to your needs.
3. Hospital: We had very bad experience during birth of our first child. Doctor did not show up when the delivery happened (nurse had to take care of everything and another doctor was called). For OB/GYN visits thats another awful experience. The list goes on.
4. Traffic in GTA is worst (trust me when i say worst ,it is). Insurance , i started paying $430 when i started as new driver.
5. People are extremely rude. I am not pointing any specific race or ethnicity. Lake of soft skills is something you'll find everywhere you go.

i am very positive person but series of events over the span of 3 years has pushed me to move out of GTA. I was told what i experienced from all the people who moved out of GTA to NS.

My experience is Nova scotia was exactly opposite but lake of opportunities. Ottawa is better choice as well if you can get govt job or some contract work.

Subtan

Nov 28, 2015
Karachi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All,

I am planning to move Halifax, Nova Scotia on 22-August 2016, However, I need assistance for housing. I have already booked from booking.com for 4 days. Can you please suggest me that 4 days are sufficient to visit immigration office for PR and selection of apartment.

Best Regards,

You may contact me +923213895368

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Subtan said:
Dear All,

I am planning to move Halifax, Nova Scotia on 22-August 2016, However, I need assistance for housing. I have already booked from booking.com for 4 days. Can you please suggest me that 4 days are sufficient to visit immigration office for PR and selection of apartment.

Best Regards,

You may contact me +923213895368
It's hard to say if 4 days is enough. You might get jet lag from long haul flights. I suggest you find a realtor before you arrival for him to give some guidance to begin with.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
Four days is barely enough, if you're lucky -- my wife and I found a place in that time when we moved to Edmonton, and it was a close-run thing.

Day 1 -- open bank account, look at advertisements (remember to take your hotel card so you can use it for your current address)
Day 2 -- view first apartments, they will probably not be ideal
Day 3 -- view more apartments. If one is OK, then apply for credit check
Day 4 -- if credit check passes, and the apartment is ready for move-in (not all of them are, many have to be entered on the first day of the month), then you can move in. Even a bit of delay anywhere, though, and you will hit the weekend.