+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Relocating to Canada on asylum/ refugee ground

Halaks

Jul 16, 2018
Hi everyone.
I have a visa to Canada and I'm planning to submit myself for asylum at the port of entry how do I go about the first set if interviews that might be done for me that will make me to be eligible?
Thanks.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You will interview with the CBSA officials at the port of entry. They will determine if you have sufficient proof to submit a refugee application. If they do submit the application, you will need to wait about 18-24 months to have your refugee hearing before your claim is approved or rejected.

Halaks

Jul 16, 2018
You will interview with the CBSA officials at the port of entry. They will determine if you have sufficient proof to submit a refugee application. If they do submit the application, you will need to wait about 18-24 months to have your refugee hearing before your claim is approved or rejected.
Please do you have any idea of the kind of question(s) likely to be asked by the CBSA official?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Not just questions, they will want to see documentation supporting your claim as well. The questions and documentation required by CBSA will depend on your claim.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Please do you have any idea of the kind of question(s) likely to be asked by the CBSA official?
Probably questions necessary to determine the following, found here:

The [Immigration and Refugee Board] decides who is a Convention refugee or a person in need of protection.

Convention refugees are outside their home country or the country they normally live in. They are not able to return because of a well-founded fear of persecution based on:
  • race
  • religion
  • political opinion
  • nationality, or
  • membership in a social group, such as women or people of a particular sexual orientation.
A person in need of protection is a person in Canada who cannot return to their home country safely. This is because if they return, they would be subject to a:
  • danger of torture
  • risk to their life, or
  • risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishment.
There is an interesting video about the process here,

Reactions: Halaks

Halaks

Jul 16, 2018
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your responses to my questions.
Thank you once again.
Cheers.