Feb 2015
Med's Done....
March 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 2015
Hi,
I do have a security clearance - Reliability status which i obtained through my current employer. does this speed up the processing of my application by any chance, and does anyone recommend including an evidence of it in my application submission?

Thanks

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
Hi,
I do have a security clearance - Reliability status which i obtained through my current employer. does this speed up the processing of my application by any chance, and does anyone recommend including an evidence of it in my application submission?

Thanks
Hard to say, but I do have an anecdotal evidence, where the completion of a reliability security clearance coincided with an invitation to a Citizenship Test and Interview for an applicant that I know. Nevertheless, once they have your details it shouldn't be hard for them to ascertain the status of your current clearance.

Fyi: The security clearance for citizenship screening is valid for 4 years

My gut feeling is that the validity and the status of your clearance (Secret/ Top Secret) might have a direct implication on the speed of the security screening process for your citizenship application. I know for sure that a credit check is a mandatory part of the reliability screening process, but I am not sure if a citizenship application might warrant a credit check.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hard to say, but I do have an anecdotal evidence, where the completion of a reliability security clearance coincided with an invitation to a Citizenship Test and Interview for an applicant that I know. Nevertheless, once they have your details it shouldn't be hard for them to ascertain the status of your current clearance.

Fyi: The security clearance for citizenship screening is valid for 4 years

My gut feeling is that the validity and the status of your clearance (Secret/ Top Secret) might have a direct implication on the speed of the security screening process for your citizenship application. I know for sure that a credit check is a mandatory part of the reliability screening process, but I am not sure if a citizenship application might warrant a credit check.
I suspect that for that relatively small section of the overall citizenship application process it might make a difference, simply on the basis of not having to search for you. Apart from that, I doubt it. Reliability status is pretty much the bottom rung of the clearance ladder.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I wonder if the clearance of Top secret/secret (I have secret, gf has top secret), helps with other applications such as PR sponsorship. Sorry to hijack the thread.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I wonder if the clearance of Top secret/secret (I have secret, gf has top secret), helps with other applications such as PR sponsorship. Sorry to hijack the thread.
Well, it's funny that you should ask that... I did wonder if that's why my PR process was quick. ;) I was the PA but for a five eyes country.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Well, it's funny that you should ask that... I did wonder if that's why my PR process was quick. ;) I was the PA but for a five eyes country.
Yeah she works for the coastguard and I work for a company that deals with military stuff, so anything that helps :).

How long did it take you, if you don't mind me asking? I'm applying for spousal sponsorship.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Yeah she works for the coastguard and I work for a company that deals with military stuff, so anything that helps :).

How long did it take you, if you don't mind me asking? I'm applying for spousal sponsorship.
Mine was a while ago now.. About 5 months.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Impact On Citizenship Application Processing Timeline:

Odds are high that a security clearance, of any level, does NOT accelerate how long most routinely processed CITIZENSHIP applications take. There is, effectively, a minimum timeline which is the time a substantial percentage of routinely processed applications actually take (this timeline varies widely from time to time, from one local office to another, but at any given time generally a large percentage of applications flow through the process in a particular local office very much in step, as if in a standard queue . . . subject to batches for purposes of scheduling interviews, tests, and oath ceremonies).

Even for the RCMP and CSIS background clearances (again, for citizenship applicants), odds are high that for the majority of applicants the timeline is simply queue time, the actual task time is a singular event with most variations probably ranging in minutes not hours let alone days. And for the majority of applicants the RCMP and CSIS clearances have no impact on the processing timeline anyway (referral is made in CPC Sydney and for most applicants the clearances are in the file, in GCMS, even if not noted as received, before the applicant appears for the PI Interview).

However, a security clearance (regardless of level) MIGHT make a difference in reducing non-routine processing timelines (depending on the what and why for the non-routine processing).

Impact On Processing Timelines For Other Applications:

I have little insight into the potential impact on processing timelines for other types of applications. Background checks for other types of applications vary significantly. My GUESS is that security clearances could have a positive impact on processing timelines for SOME types of applications.

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
[QUOTE="dpenabill, post: 7722041,
My GUESS is that security clearances could have a positive impact on processing timelines for SOME types of applications.[/QUOTE]

My hunch is it positively impacts processing for applications where the applicant has a firm job offer from one of the federal government agencies.

I know of atleast two applicants whose files where in 'limbo' or in 'queue' as you would like to call it until their respective checks were passed. However, once they had a firm job offer on passing the reliability checks, their citizenship applications coincidentally were granted in less than a month.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
dpenabill said:
My GUESS is that security clearances could have a positive impact on processing timelines for SOME types of applications.
My hunch is it positively impacts processing for applications where the applicant has a firm job offer from one of the federal government agencies.

I know of atleast two applicants whose files where in 'limbo' or in 'queue' as you would like to call it. However, once they had a firm job offer on passing the reliability checks, their citizenship applications coincidentally were granted in less than a month.
The part of my post quoted was in reference to applications OTHER than Citizenship application.

Nonetheless, for Citizenship Applications:

Files in "limbo" is NOT the same as files in queue. For example, if for this or that reason there is a referral for an inquiry, the file will be in a sort of limbo, or simply waiting on, receiving a response to the inquiry. These may have bring-forward-dates or the equivalent.

That is different from a file being in queue. In particular, files in queue are precisely that: files in line for the next-step action to be taken. Nothing other than a decision to provide urgent processing will cause these files to be taken out of the queue sooner, to be processed ahead of other files in the queue.

There are a certain number of specific tasks taken on ALL citizenship applications. The fastest processing timeline for a given application is to go through those procedural steps in order, with no diversions or holds or referrals, no extra steps. I cannot say what percentage of applications go through the process this routinely BUT it appears to be a large percentage, perhaps even MOST, or close to half anyway. There is nothing short of urgent processing which will trigger taking these applications out of line and doing the next-in-order-task any faster. That is, many if not most applications proceed through the process as fast as the local office processes applications, each discreet step taken in the order the applications are in the queue, and other than urgent processing this is as fast as it goes.

But sure, scores of forum participants here, for example, are NOT on the as-fast-as-it-goes track. A large percentage of applications do not flow through the process without a bump or wrinkle along the way. How and why varies. If an outside security check is somehow noted in addressing the additional inquiry or task being done, AND it is relevant to that task or inquiry, sure, that could reduce the amount of any ADDITIONAL time that applicant might have to wait to the next step. It will not accelerate routine processing. But it might, as I previously observed, "make a difference in reducing non-routine processing timelines (depending on the what and why for the non-routine processing)."

That is, it is NOT going to accelerate the base line processing timeline which is what it is for a very large percentage of applicants, again maybe most or at least approaching half.

It is not going to trigger taking a file out of queue to be processed sooner . . . how would an outside security check trigger taking action of the file, after all, unless the file is actively being worked on (and remember, this is almost always about hours or most often merely parts of an hour, in total . . . agents do not work on applications for days, let alone longer than that) and the official working on it does something to learn about the outside security check?

AFTER the TEST TIMELINE:

Going back to files "in limbo." Yes, after the test and PI Interview some applicants are waiting on an update to RCMP or CSIS clearances, or for some other inquiry to be completed. This affects just SOME applicants. It is possible an outside security check will show up in a related inquiry and help resolve some concern or issue, and thereby REDUCE that applicant's wait time to taking the oath. But that applicant is already on a SLOWER timeline than the mainstream routine timeline.

Remember, in contrast, for the majority of applicants, all the assessment/evaluation tasks are COMPLETE as of the conclusion of the test and PI Interview. The next step is formalizing the Decision Made by the Citizenship Officer and scheduling the applicant for the oath. Here again this is a rather perfunctory task, taking very little time in itself, and will be done no sooner (and usually NO later) than when it is the application's turn to be acted on in the queue . . . so even if, somehow (such as in doing the GCMS background check, which is done every time any action is taken on the file) it is noticed the applicant has had this outside security check, in a quarter hour or half hour (whatever time is allotted for the Citizenship Officer to take in doing this step) this step is DONE . . . maybe it take five minutes less due to seeing the security check but that will NOT affect the date the oath is scheduled.

Thus, emphasis should probably be on "coincidentally" scheduled soon for the oath.

Moe2010

Star Member
Feb 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2014
Doc's Request.
Feb 2015
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
Sep 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
Feb 2015
Med's Done....
March 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 2015
Thanks everyone.

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
@Moe2010 what did your timeline end up being? (I assume/hope you have gotten citizenship by now) I just found this thread and was wondering if having reliability security clearance would help speed up the citizenship process at all, since I got the security clearance through my work almost a year ago and am planning to apply for citizenship in a few weeks. Sounds like it doesn't help for routine cases, but I'm curious what your timeline ended up being anyway.