+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RELATIVES IN CANADA

balo

Jun 6, 2009
Dear Expert, need your guidance on this.
I will submit my application soon, and would like to declare the following relatives in Canada:
1) I have 2 newphews with PR status (sons of my deceased brother)- both are minors, high school students. My brother's wife remarried a Canadian National but she still carrying our Surname (she told me it will be changed only after they got their Canadian citizenship), she gave me copies of their PR card, birth certificate, marriage contract from National statistic office showing the 2 marriages (with my brother & Canadian husband), electricity bill, and other proof of residences in Canada.
2) Cousin-my husband has a first cousin a Canadian passport holder, they gave us also copy of passport, electricity bill and birth certificate.
Question - will CIC grant us points on this, PLEASE ADVISE, THANKS

asyousuf

Champion Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
April 2011
balo said:
I will submit my application soon, and would like to declare the following relatives in Canada:
1) I have 2 newphews with PR status (sons of my deceased brother)- both are minors, high school students. My brother's wife remarried a Canadian National but she still carrying our Surname (she told me it will be changed only after they got their Canadian citizenship), she gave me copies of their PR card, birth certificate, marriage contract from National statistic office showing the 2 marriages (with my brother & Canadian husband), electricity bill, and other proof of residences in Canada.
2) Cousin-my husband has a first cousin a Canadian passport holder, they gave us also copy of passport, electricity bill and birth certificate.
I doubt that u can claim points for your relative who has remarried. For option 2, can claim points. Please note the relation should be based on blood ties. Distant relatives can not be a support for immigration purposes.

Cousin of your husband need to prove relation by way of identity of his father and father of your husband...for eg both fathers are brothers.

asyousuf

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You get points for the nephews but you don't get points for a cousin. Still, doesn't matter because you get only 5 points for a relative, you don't get more points for more relatives.

You can see this explained here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/factor-adaptability.asp

Relatives in Canada
You, or your accompanying spouse or common-law partner, have a relative (parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, child of a parent, sibling, child of a grandparent, aunt or uncle, or grandchild of a parent, niece or nephew) who is residing in Canada and is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. 5

You can only count points from each category once. You can claim points from a category either for you, or for your spouse or common-law partner, but not for both.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
balo said:
Thanks Leon, I'm worried coz' my nephews are just minors
As Leon said below they are minors. You can also claim that they have no relatives their from their late father's side in Canada and you want to be there for them. Long shot but can't hurt.

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
CIC asks for relative's tax papers and makes the situation spicy if not provided. I wonder what they ask for minor relatives.

balo

Jun 6, 2009
thanks guys for all your replies, but now I'm confused as you have different views on my case, will a support letter from my sister in law helps. If so, can you give me a format or example, need help pls thanks

Kanamen

Champion Member
Oct 20, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
balo said:
thanks guys for all your replies, but now I'm confused as you have different views on my case, will a support letter from my sister in law helps. If so, can you give me a format or example, need help pls thanks
You dont need any support letter but the authenticated relationship proof

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think they ask for tax records mainly because they want to make sure that the relative really lives in Canada so whatever your sister in law gave you, it doesn't hurt to send it along. Her tax records prove that she lives in Canada and maybe school records for the sons would be good.

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
Leon

Visa officers are Diploamts employed by Government of Canada and they are also in charge of checking vital secured information and they have access to strategic/private information about any Canadian on the grounds of security check.

They can say if anyone is on social aid or availing any kinda assistance from anyone in Canada.
I wonder why they ask for something to the applicant which they can access by themselves.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jnathan said:
They can say if anyone is on social aid or availing any kinda assistance from anyone in Canada.
I wonder why they ask for something to the applicant which they can access by themselves.
Maybe they can see it but it is a lot less work for them if they make you provide the information and they are already overworked, that is why the waiting times are long. If everybody provides as much information as possible, then they just have to check the ones that look fishy and take some random samples here and there.

balo

Jun 6, 2009
thanks Leon, Yes she gave me also school ID and school graduation diploma of my nephews, hope this will help

QAMAR NAWAZ

Jul 12, 2011
balo said:
i think u can get 5 point of newphew