+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Relative Adoption

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm going to assume that the adoption has been done according to the proper legal procedures (i.e. other parent accounted for, either by absence/death or having not objected to the adoption).

-The children are already PRs. They have already relocated. There is, therefore, no concern of adoption of convenience.
-There is a specific exception / reference to the case of a married couple, of whom one parent (the stepparent) adopts the children of the spouse.

So no: you're wrong. If everything is as described by the OP, there is no issue. It's a common procedure that is specifically recognized when a step-parent in a married couple adopts the spouse's children. There should be no concern that it's being done for improper purposes since the children have already become PRs.

WIth one valid caveat, that assuming this adoption procedure in Taiwan done according to law and acceptable to IRCC. I've no reason to believe otherwise, and neither do you.
Adoption is not always done because a parent is deceased or losing parental rights in other countries. The goal seems to be to secure citizenship through the parent right away and not wait 3 years so there is definitely a concern that the adoption is motivated by securing citizenship right away which would fall under adoption of convenience. We need more information about the biological mother.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Adoption is not always done because a parent is deceased or losing parental rights in other countries. The goal seems to be to secure citizenship through the parent right away and not wait 3 years so there is definitely a concern that the adoption is motivated by securing citizenship right away which would fall under adoption of convenience. We need more information about the biological mother.
Nope, sorry, just wrong.

farewellw

Star Member
Feb 20, 2021
Category........
FAM
Yes, they should be able to, as long as they are minors (under 18).

You have two options:
-apply for your citizenship and for them at the same time (family app).
-you apply for, receive your citizenship, and then apply afterwards for grant of citizenship for the two children based on having a citizen-parent.

I think the only difference between these is preference and whether you have documents ready, etc., and if there is any chance the 'joint' application for citizenship would be slower (I've no idea about that).

I can say the process in the second case is relatively simple and should not be too long (once you receive your citizenship). Since for children there's hardly any case for urgency, again, comes down for preference. (Obviously one thing is whether having Taiwanese passport vs Canadian would be a serious travel constraint/force you to get visas and fill out more forms etc.)

In most simple terms: if adoption is not yet complete, and you're ready to apply for citizenship, I'd just do that, and apply for it for the children later.

But again - mostly a question of personal preference. Obviously might be nice to have them become citizens and even participate in ceremony with you, but no legal consequences of that.
Thank you so much. I'll do it, and keep you updated !

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Nope, sorry, just wrong.
If the mother is still alive even if Taiwan recognizes the adoption do you Canada is going to recognize the adoption? At the very least there will be an investigation if the biological mother has lost her parental rights in Taiwan and whether Canada feels that the loss of parental rights is reasonable based on Canadian law. If the biological mother is still alive the reasons behind the adoption and what the children would gain or lose out on if they were a stepchild and not adopt d by this woman would be considered. Whether the biological mother is alive is very important. One of the first things you need to provide proof of in an adoption of family members are the death certificates of parents or in this case parent. In cases where biological parents are still alive there has to be significantly more proof that an adoption is necessary. Loss of parental rights in Canada is really the last option and is taken very seriously.

farewellw

Star Member
Feb 20, 2021
Category........
FAM
If the mother is still alive even if Taiwan recognizes the adoption do you Canada is going to recognize the adoption? At the very least there will be an investigation if the biological mother has lost her parental rights in Taiwan and whether Canada feels that the loss of parental rights is reasonable based on Canadian law. If the biological mother is still alive the reasons behind the adoption and what the children would gain or lose out on if they were a stepchild and not adopt d by this woman would be considered. Whether the biological mother is alive is very important. One of the first things you need to provide proof of in an adoption of family members are the death certificates of parents or in this case parent. In cases where biological parents are still alive there has to be significantly more proof that an adoption is necessary. Loss of parental rights in Canada is really the last option and is taken very seriously.
Thank you for reply. Because the biological mother has agreed my adoption in court in Taiwan. She has a new family for many years....

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yep, you're still wrong. See below.

farewellw

Star Member
Feb 20, 2021
Category........
FAM
Thank you for reply. Because the biological mother has agreed my adoption in court in Taiwan. She has a new family for many years....
I think that I will still try to apply their citizenship with me, At worst, it might be rejected. They still keep their PR。

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think that I will still try to apply their citizenship with me, At worst, it might be rejected. They still keep their PR。
I just note, you must wait until the adoption is complete before applying if you go this way. Let others know how it works out.

Kushal_75

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Pretoria, South Africa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23/06/2015
Doc's Request.
11/05/2016 & 8/06/2016
Nomination.....
13/06/2016
AOR Received.
ITA on 15.06.2016
IELTS Request
Done before creating EE profile
File Transfer...
Uploaded on 28.07.2016
Med's Request
Done before uploading file
Med's Done....
Done on 23.06.2016 - passed
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I have adopted my niece and nephew in the philippines in 2019 through local adoption and it was finalized this year. i did not contact any local adoption agency here in canada

what are the steps for me do for immigration purposes.? they are already 17 abd 15.

Do i need to contact local adoption agency in canada first?

or can i just submit my application for sponsorship
Hi,
Are the children orphaned? Is Philippines a signatory of hague convention on intercountry adoption? Were you an habitual resident of Canada or Philippines when you did the adoption? Were you a citizen of Canada when you got adoption?
Depending on your answer to above you may or may not apply for direct grant of citizenship for adopted minors.
Issues which may arise is section 5.1(1) C.1 of the citizenship act whereby CIC will say you have circumvented the hague convention on international adoption.

Let us know what happened in your case.

Thanks,

Kushal