+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rejection

Somie

Feb 7, 2019
I applied to the University of Ottawa in december and I just checked my status which says refused. I applied to the University of Waterloo too. But I’m scared I’ll get rejected as well. I have a bachelors degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering and I would love to study AI. Mostly ECE because I don’t know if I can manage in CS. Any more good schools I can apply to?

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
I applied to the University of Ottawa in december and I just checked my status which says refused. I applied to the University of Waterloo too. But I’m scared I’ll get rejected as well. I have a bachelors degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering and I would love to study AI. Mostly ECE because I don’t know if I can manage in CS. Any more good schools I can apply to?
People here may find 'good schools' for you but I guess you know best about your profile and the school's that you are interested in or may accept you.

Somie

Feb 7, 2019
People here may find 'good schools' for you but I guess you know best about your profile and the school's that you are interested in or may accept you.
I know that. But I’m not so sure anymore. I was pretty confident that I would get into Uottawa. I’m thinking of applying to Victoria, Carleton and Windsor now

Dhruvarora

Nov 5, 2018
I also got rejected today from University of Ottawa. You should try in Concordia University as I also got admit there at just 6.5 CGPA undergrad.

Somie

Feb 7, 2019
I also got rejected today from University of Ottawa. You should try in Concordia University as I also got admit there at just 6.5 CGPA undergrad.
Thank you very much. I will do that now! And Congratulations! Enjoy your post grad!!

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I am sorry to hear about the rejection of your application. Here are a few tips you need to have at the back of your mind for getting into masters programs in Canada.

1. There are two types of Masters program, and they are Masters by Course work and Masters by Research.

2. For Masters by course work, it is a bit easier to get into because you will be paying your fee, the school will easily grant you and offer once you meet the minimum requirements.

3. For Masters by Research, it is much harder. Here your work is based on research. The PI (principal investigator) will be the one to pay for your fees, and also pay for your subsistence (other wise known as stipends).

4. You will agree with me that more people will be trying to get into Item 3, including Canadian citizens, making the competition much stiffer.

5. Also the cost of funding and international student is 3 times the cost of funding a Canadian student. The PI has limited funds, and will want to maximize it. So instead of taking one international student, he is likely to take 3 Canadian students and get more output from the limited grant he has.

Based on the aforementioned, I would suggest you look for Fee paying Masters degree programs e.g University of Windsor, the designation will be different M.Sc and M.Eng.. (The M.Eng will be the fee paying one). If you meet the minimum academic requirement and you can afford to pay your fee, then your chances of getting in will be geometrically increased, but for M.Sc research programs, your chances of getting in are very low.

Finally, please stop looking at the schools with the big names. Try the smaller schools, there is less competition there.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best.

Cheers

Omofar

Somie

Feb 7, 2019
Hi,

I am sorry to hear about the rejection of your application. Here are a few tips you need to have at the back of your mind for getting into masters programs in Canada.

1. There are two types of Masters program, and they are Masters by Course work and Masters by Research.

2. For Masters by course work, it is a bit easier to get into because you will be paying your fee, the school will easily grant you and offer once you meet the minimum requirements.

3. For Masters by Research, it is much harder. Here your work is based on research. The PI (principal investigator) will be the one to pay for your fees, and also pay for your subsistence (other wise known as stipends).

4. You will agree with me that more people will be trying to get into Item 3, including Canadian citizens, making the competition much stiffer.

5. Also the cost of funding and international student is 3 times the cost of funding a Canadian student. The PI has limited funds, and will want to maximize it. So instead of taking one international student, he is likely to take 3 Canadian students and get more output from the limited grant he has.

Based on the aforementioned, I would suggest you look for Fee paying Masters degree programs e.g University of Windsor, the designation will be different M.Sc and M.Eng.. (The M.Eng will be the fee paying one). If you meet the minimum academic requirement and you can afford to pay your fee, then your chances of getting in will be geometrically increased, but for M.Sc research programs, your chances of getting in are very low.

Finally, please stop looking at the schools with the big names. Try the smaller schools, there is less competition there.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best.

Cheers

Omofar
Thank you very much. I will have all this mind while preparing my other applications. Cheers.