+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rejection of Study Permit citing subsection 216(1)

Krupesh112

Star Member
Nov 2, 2019
Hey Everyone ,

Hope all are doing good.

I am an Indian resident I have secured admission for my Masters in Civil Engineering in University of British Columbia for Fall intake of this year(Sep 2021). I had applied for my Study Permit in the month of Jan 2021. However day before yesterday I got my Refusal letter for my study Permit application and I am literally devastated

My Refusal letter from IRCC stated below Points.

I have determined that your application does not meet
the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and
Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds:

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

• Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of one or more of: your qualifications,
previous studies, missing marksheets, academic record, level of establishment/available financial
resources, language abilities, or your future prospects and plans.

My credentials are as follows.

Graduated in 2016. Bachelor's Civil Engineering with a GPA OF 9.21/10.
IELTS Overall Band score of 7.5 , Listeing-8.0, Reading -7.5, Writing-6.0, Speaking-7.5 - I had took IELTS in 2018.
Have an overall work experience of 4 years. Out of which 2 years are in Middle east(Bahrain). I have attached the immigration details of my middle east stay along with my Passport details in the study permit application.
In my SOP/LOE I have mentioned that I would return to India once my Studies are completed and have specified that getting a Masters degree from UBC would elevate me to greater opportunities in India.

In my Financial Statement I have shown an educational Loan of around 25 Lakh rupees( 44,920 CAD). Along with it I have already opened an GIC account in CIBC in which I have deposited around 10,650 CAD to cover my living expenses. And also I have shown my Bank statement of 4 months in which I have bank balance of CAD 15,090 CAD, which is more than the Tuition fee of 14,800 CAD for my 2 term.

However I had applied for my study permit on my own and hence I feel like I had not documented the documents properly, as where I had not submitted my Marksheets , transcript, pay slips of my company along with my past work experience certificate to validate my credentials. (P.S. which in hindsight I should have done and now make me look like an imbecile)

So I wanted to ask the respected People on this forum as to what are the chances of getting my study permit second time around? and what should I do apart from missing documentation to improve my case further so that I can get the study permit in time?

A reply to this question would be really helpful

(P.S. Since the Tuition fee for the first term would get updated in my student portal in the month of June , I was not able to pay the fee now, hence I have applied in Non-SDS Stream)

Regards
Bro, your profile is good enough, but you didnt attached all the documents like marksheets, certificates and all.. not only writing a good sop will help you but you will have to express your genuineness by showing them all your documents. Good luck

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
You need to pay back your loan so the visa officer will take into account the extra costs that you will need to pay back the loan in yourtotal expenses.

Proof of financial support
You must prove that you can support yourself, and the family members who come with you, while you are in Canada.
You can prove your funds with
  • proof of a Canadian bank account in your name, if you've transferred money to Canada
  • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution
  • proof of a student or education loan from a bank
  • your bank statements for the past 4 months
  • a bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars
  • proof you paid tuition and housing fees
  • a letter from the person or school giving you money or
  • proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program
Minimum funds needed to support yourself as a student (and family members who come with you):

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/get-documents.html#doc3

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
IELTS should not be anything less than 7 for each part
1. Not all streams require an IELTS therefore IELTS is not listed as a general requirement for Canada Study permit.
2. The minimum language requirements for any form of immigration to Canada is 6.0 and no less than 5.5 in any section.

Stop spreading misinformation.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
1. Not all streams require an IELTS therefore IELTS is not listed as a general requirement for Canada Study permit.
2. The minimum language requirements for any form of immigration to Canada is 6.0 and no less than 5.5 in any section.

I don't make the rules. It is the visa officer that decide, and it is the visa officer that have the final say. The visa officer says op doesn't have sufficient funds, so that's the truth.

Krupesh112

Star Member
Nov 2, 2019
I don't make the rules. It is the visa officer that decide, and it is the visa officer that have the final say. The visa officer says op doesn't have sufficient funds, so that's the truth.
I have many friends who got their visa approved with 5.5 one module. So stop spreading such wrong information.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019

Having the minimum doesn't mean you will get approval. The visa officer only uses that as a guideline. Having a better score will be easier to get approval

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Having the minimum doesn't mean you will get approval. The visa officer only uses that as a guideline. Having a better score will be easier to get approval
Neither does having the maximum scores. There are many factors that go into making the decision by the VO. Agreed, the better the score, the better your chances, but IRCC put out a minimum score and it's not 7.0 like you declared.

You obviously live in your head. Reality and facts mean nothing to you.

amsanae

Star Member
Jan 17, 2020
In your next application, make sure you attach the documents you forgot to attach for the first application, ie. Marksheets, company payslips, a new IELTS score, experience certificates, property valuation from a CA (if any) etc. to make your application much more stronger than what you had previously presented. Your academic scores are really good and so is your choice of university. Your progression from Bachelors to Masters is logical and shouldn't be a problem. A stronger re-written SOP should be included which should also include the refusal reasons of your previous application along with your rebuttal.

Good Luck on your IELTS test and your future study permit application.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Proof of financial support
You must prove that you can support yourself, and the family members who come with you, while you are in Canada.
You can prove your funds with
  • proof of a Canadian bank account in your name, if you've transferred money to Canada
  • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution
  • proof of a student or education loan from a bank
  • your bank statements for the past 4 months
  • a bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars
  • proof you paid tuition and housing fees
  • a letter from the person or school giving you money or
  • proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program
Minimum funds needed to support yourself as a student (and family members who come with you):

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/get-documents.html#doc3
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/assessing-application.html

Based on the known incidence of indigent and non-bona fide applicants, reliability of financial documentation, and so forth, individual visa offices are best placed to determine whether routinely requiring banking documentation and/or more extensive financial background information is necessary to ensure program integrity.
in some very high-risk environments, requiring and systematically verifying substantial history of funds and supplementary individual or family financial and employment documentation may be necessary to ensure that only genuine students capable of supporting their program of studies are accorded study permits.

Laguna55

Jul 19, 2020
Not sure if already mentioned, but there a high rejection rate for applicants living in a country different to your resident one.

Suzdee8197

Mar 14, 2021
In your next application, make sure you attach the documents you forgot to attach for the first application, ie. Marksheets, company payslips, a new IELTS score, experience certificates, property valuation from a CA (if any) etc. to make your application much more stronger than what you had previously presented. Your academic scores are really good and so is your choice of university. Your progression from Bachelors to Masters is logical and shouldn't be a problem. A stronger re-written SOP should be included which should also include the refusal reasons of your previous application along with your rebuttal.

Good Luck on your IELTS test and your future study permit application.
Hey.

Thanks for giving your feedback.

I have already took notice of your comments and advice and will work on it.

Regards

Suzdee8197

Mar 14, 2021
I went through advices given my some of the forum members here. I would take into consideration all of it into making my ties and SOP strong. I have already ordered my GCMS Notes to check what went wrong and hopefully retract my mistakes next time. Thanks all of you for your comments, duly noted and will keep you posted about the progress

Reactions: RamSatt

sujung60

Sep 16, 2020
Sorry I'm off the topic, but how did you get the secured admission from UBC? I also applied for Master program(M.Eng) in Civil Engineering in UBC on December 2020 and didn't get the answer from them.
Sorry again and I hope your process for study permit goes well!