+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rejected twice, weird reco by agent for 3rd application

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for this response. Someone told me even though we used his parents financial background I still needed to have my own so I wanted to know how much money I needed to have to have myself prepared for the next time we apply
So if you are a family of 4 you want to show minimum of $17. This is you and your husband’s own funds not those of parents. You are adults so parents funds are not relevant.

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
Hard to comment without knowing your siblings full profile. Generally speaking, a SOP doesn't fix the issue. You need to strengthen the application.

Of course you definitely need to mention the previous refusals in the new application
what happens if they apply together for a relevant Master's degree at a reputed uni or are we saying that applying together is just a bad idea?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
what happens if they apply together for a relevant Master's degree at a reputed uni or are we saying that applying together is just a bad idea?
If it is a relevant Master’s degree (pick a public DLI), tuition is paid, have strong ties to home country, shwowing career and education advancement to justify costs and showing funds for student and spouse then they can reapply together. If not, consider just applying for the study permit.

Reactions: zagcollins

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So if you are a family of 4 you want to show minimum of $17. This is you and your husband’s own funds not those of parents. You are adults so parents funds are not relevant.
17k is only for Quebec. Other provinces don’t have a fixed amount and in places like Ontario and BC you would likely have to show more funds.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Look, no offence but I have never heard of Humber College, unless it is a very speciality college, it makes no sense for someone to come and study there. It seems it is a polytechnic and best offers graduate certificate courses and honors courses. If they had a degree already, it will look really weird why they want to do a graduate certificate program. It is best suited for a journey-man trades career, some specific career oriented pathways like funeral director etc. Those things tend to be very local. For grad studies with a degree in hand, look elsewhere.
Humber is actually one of the bigger colleges in Canada and is in the GTA. Colleges aren’t only for tradespeople. I know many people who did a college degree after a university degree. College degrees offer more practical training where as university tends to offer more theoretical training. Many in IT did an undergrad in university and then went onto a college degree to learn practical skills to become employable. Would add that trades can pay more than many professional degrees so I wouldn’t be putting down journeymen.

Reactions: zagcollins

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Humber is actually one of the bigger colleges in Canada and is in the GTA. Colleges aren’t only for tradespeople. I know many people who did a college degree after a university degree. College degrees offer more practical training where as university tends to offer more theoretical training. Many in IT did an undergrad in university and then went onto a college degree to learn practical skills to become employable. Would add that trades can pay more than many professional degrees so I wouldn’t be putting down journeymen.
My goal was never to put down journeymen trades folks BUT to highlight that those two paths do not always converge nicely. ie a degree based career and a diploma based trades career. My apologies if it came out like this. Trades also tend to be local which makes it sus from a IRCC point of view -- even though they have a Federal Trades channel for EE.

Polytech are supposed to be provide vocational training but then many times names do not provide the entire context. I did browse through all their offerings and I found that in case of specific careers in trades they have a good range of courses but when it comes to masters degree courses, the choices were absent.

I can certainly talk about IT. In IT field, many folks after doing their engineering or related degree take up certification courses to learn vendor or product specific skills. These are however, not really taught at colleges and often provided as a employer driven training.

Lastly, IRCC for the reasons known to it the best is always sus about mid-career change.

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
My sibling applied for a grad certificate at Humber College, ON. Got rejected twice (SP + SOWP). GCMS notes both times states that VO is not satisfied about primary applicant's scholastic history + relevance of course on account of work ex and edu background.

This time around my sibling went to an agent. The agent states we'll write a new SoP and just mention at the end of the SoP that we have been previously rejected. Not sure about this ploy. My understanding here is that the agent has no clue how to address the issue. Therefore, hoping to score a fluke. Approved - hey, my strategy worked. Rejected - i mean look, you had 2 rejections already.

Thoughts? Has anyone experienced this before?
sibling is 33, married. Has 1 Bachelor's degree and a diploma in textile design. has 7 years of work ex in Textile and Interior Design, seeking to pivot to a career in UX Design with a course at Humber College. IELTS 7.5. As a student, graduation scores were around 60-65%.

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
funnily enough, the agent's recommendation + adding a recommendation letter from her current employer worked wonders. Got approved. Also proves that the expert opinions on this forum, while helpful, aren't exactly the gospel truth (not aiming a dig at anyone) because IRCC is inconsistent. Almost impossible to predict what they do purely because the decision making seems largely arbitrary.