+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

rejected for a student visa twice, can she be rejected as an eta visitor?

ytzmarlon

Nov 4, 2015
My girlfriend was in Canada two times, 6month x2. In her last trip, she was taking a course in a language school and wanted to apply for a student visa to extend her stay (be with me). She was rejected twice, on the grounds of the school not being reasonable for her education back home (she has a masters in engineering and the language school was an english program with customer service).

Fast forward 1 year, I have been living with her in slovakia for the last 12 months, we want to go to Canada together as my visa here is now expiring, slovakia does not require a visitor visa to enter the country, what are the chances she would be rejected at the border?

In Toronto she would be staying with me and my family. As i havent been in toronto for the last year, i do not have a job (but i do have a strong resume) so my parents would be supporting us until I find employment. My parents can afford to keep us, even for the 6 months. She will have a return ticket back home. All her family is in slovakia and she does own property here. She has been learning english for the last year so she is not working. Will this effect the outcome?

Thanks !

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
ytzmarlon said:
Fast forward 1 year, I have been living with her in slovakia for the last 12 months, we want to go to Canada together as my visa here is now expiring, slovakia does not require a visitor visa to enter the country, what are the chances she would be rejected at the border?
Chances of rejection are low, but most likely she will be given a short stay (couple of months) and strong questioning, as she has been flagged as a "not genuine visitor" (she has been trying to live with you rather than just visiting).

ytzmarlon

Nov 4, 2015
Jalex23, I really appreciate the response.

What kind of questioning would be it? The first time she went to Canada, it was a graduation present from her parents, and she was questioned in the second screening. The second time she went to Canada it was to spend time with me, there were almost no questions.

Also, we do plan to apply for a common law visa, and will be travelling together, will this be something we should tell CBSA up front? Would this alter the outcome of her entry to the country?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
ytzmarlon said:
What kind of questioning would be it? The first time she went to Canada, it was a graduation present from her parents, and she was questioned in the second screening. The second time she went to Canada it was to spend time with me, there were almost no questions.
Yeah as I said, "most likely"... but there is always a chance the CBSA officer won't care at all.

So expect the same kind of questioning, maybe tougher.

ytzmarlon said:
Also, we do plan to apply for a common law visa, and will be travelling together, will this be something we should tell CBSA up front? Would this alter the outcome of her entry to the country?
There is no such thing as "common law visa". Get your terms right if you wish to use this as an argument. The officer would expect to see evidence that you know what you are planning to do and that you have done your homework.

Yes, all information given will have an effect on the outcome of her entry.... only the CBSA officer handling the case can say what would change.

ytzmarlon

Nov 4, 2015
Thanks for the correction, we are looking for in family sponsorship - common law, inland or outland, we have not yet decided which one would be better.

Thanks again!