+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reinstate middle name on Citizenship certificate

Albertan

Jan 4, 2014
Hi guys,

When i got my PR, my full middle name didn't show up because of the 15 character limit for the given name on PR card and landing document. Now i have got Canadian citizenship and it also has my incomplete middle name.

I would like my full middle name to appear on my citizenship certificate and hence on passport. Any suggestions how can i do that?

All my provincial id's, old foreign passport and all Canadian visas on foreign passport have my full middle name.

Thanks.

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
Albertan said:
Hi guys,

When i got my PR, my full middle name didn't show up because of the 15 character limit for the given name on PR card and landing document. Now i have got Canadian citizenship and it also has my incomplete middle name.

I would like my full middle name to appear on my citizenship certificate and hence on passport. Any suggestions how can i do that?

All my provincial id's, old foreign passport and all Canadian visas on foreign passport have my full middle name.

Thanks.
Albertan You could just apply for a passport using your correct full name and supply the 2 requested ID documents that show your full correct name and see what happens. Looking at the passport application form the name check appears to be related to the ID documents.

Albertan

Jan 4, 2014
Thanks paw339.

Actually I had tried that but it didn't work. The name on the passport has to match your name on Canadian Citizenship Certificate however you can drop your middle name using 2 ID documents but can't add any character using the same process.

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
Albertan said:
Thanks paw339.

Actually I had tried that but it didn't work. The name on the passport has to match your name on Canadian Citizenship Certificate however you can drop your middle name using 2 ID documents but can't add any character using the same process.
Thanks for that info as my daughters middle name is truncated. I suppose you can just do a legal name change. http://www.easynamechange.com/ca/legal-name-change/LNC-by-Province/

acis

Jun 17, 2015
Hi,
I am in the same condition they dropped the Middle Name for me, Do you know what are the impacts of dropping the middle name in Canada.

Masrawy

Nov 2, 2014
Montreal
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Albertan said:
Thanks paw339.

Thats interisting so in that case I just drop my two middle names in the application and show up with two Id or how to do that ? I would like to drop my two middle names lol my name is too long

Albertan

Jan 4, 2014
You will have to drop your middle name on your provincial IDs first. Then you will be able use those IDs to make the same change on your passport at the time of passport application.

Albertan

Jan 4, 2014
An Update on this topic.

In order to have my middle name appear in Citizenship Certificate, i applied for Proof of Citizenship attaching other documents with my full name (Provincial IDs, Foreign passport, Canadian visas on that passport etc.) and I have received my new citizenship certificate with the intended name correction.

Reactions: northern sunshine

senana

Feb 27, 2016
Hi Albertan
I had a similar issue like you had - my middle names were missing in my citizenship certificate. So I asked them to insert these by sending the foreign passport and provincial driver's license which showed these names. Currently I am waiting to get my new documents. Can you please let me know how long it took them to send your corrected documents?
Thanks.
Senana

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
senana said:
Hi Albertan
I had a similar issue like you had - my middle names were missing in my citizenship certificate. So I asked them to insert these by sending the foreign passport and provincial driver's license which showed these names. Currently I am waiting to get my new documents. Can you please let me know how long it took them to send your corrected documents?
Thanks.
Senana
It depends where you submit the proof of Citizenship. Within Canada is generally faster than at an embassy which took us nearly 15 months.

aliakrammian

Oct 23, 2011
An Update on this topic.

In order to have my middle name appear in Citizenship Certificate, i applied for Proof of Citizenship attaching other documents with my full name (Provincial IDs, Foreign passport, Canadian visas on that passport etc.) and I have received my new citizenship certificate with the intended name correction.

Can u plz guide as to how did u apply for it and also how long did it take

Thanks