+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

rehabilitation, background check

haitem25

Feb 11, 2018
Hello

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding the rehabilitation process, in case someone has something coming up in his background check. When i was in the US i as charged with a misdemeanor (property damage) and i had to pay a fine. When i was looking it over it says it is equivalent to a summary offence in canada. Do you think i need to apply for the rehabilitation process?

thank you

mpottier

Star Member
Jan 23, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Generally a Misdemeanor will mean you are inadmissible to Canada. However this can be negated depending on the the amount of time that has lapsed since you paid all fines and/or completed any sentence. If more than 10 years have passed you may be deemed rehabilitated at a point of entry (thisis ht most ideal as it requres the least amount of paper work and wait times and can be granted quickly). If five year have passed then you can apply for rehabilitation either at an embassy or a land point of entry (if you are an American citizen) . If less than 5 years have passed, then you are inadmissible to Canada and will need to apply for a temporary resident permit which are granted at the behest of a Canadian border services officer, and are only granted for shorter periods of time, depending on the reason you need to enter Canada (generally you need to have a good reason to enter Canada).

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Hello

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding the rehabilitation process, in case someone has something coming up in his background check. When i was in the US i as charged with a misdemeanor (property damage) and i had to pay a fine. When i was looking it over it says it is equivalent to a summary offence in canada. Do you think i need to apply for the rehabilitation process?

thank you
The crime classification is irrelevant. I need to know the statute number for your offense and when you were convicted in order to give you an answer.

haitem25

Feb 11, 2018
The crime classification is irrelevant. I need to know the statute number for your offense and when you were convicted in order to give you an answer.
Hello

It happened in Sep, 2010

the charge on my background check says

CHARGE 1-( ) CRIMINAL MISCHIEF
CHARGE 2-(FD) BREAKING OR ENTERING

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Yes you will need to apply for rehabilitation. If your charges are eligible for expungement you should expunge them first to increase the odds of getting an approval on your rehabilitation.