+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Registering imported car with old parking tickets

asparksy

Jun 17, 2012
I am importing a car from the US that has previously (with NY plates) spent a lot of time in Ontario, and I am ashamed to admit that I have in the past taken advantage of the fact that Ontario does not follow up on parking tickets for out-of-province cars, so I have quite a few old tickets on those license plates. I am worried now that when I go to register my imported car with Ontario, they will discover those old tickets and ask that they be paid. Anyone have any experience with this? Do they ask to see your old license plates when you register you imported car here?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Couldn't you move to any other provinces (other than Ontario) to avoid the problem?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
hi

asparksy said:
Don't think my wife is going to love that suggestion.
good chance no registration http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2013/03/18/unpaid_traffic_fines_you_could_be_denied_your_licence_plates.html

asparksy

Jun 17, 2012
Thanks - It would be easy for them to deny renewal of registration because they know the license plate number already. My question is whether they will ever ask to see my old license plates - if they don't, then they have no way of seeing the tickets.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
asparksy said:
Thanks - It would be easy for them to deny renewal of registration because they know the license plate number already. My question is whether they will ever ask to see my old license plates - if they don't, then they have no way of seeing the tickets.
Why don't you just pay off the tickets? That would be the right thing to do...

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
asparksy said:
I am in no way condoning you not paying your unpaid fines, because you clearly know you were in the wrong and should pay them. However, to answer your question. Once you import your car into Canada, you have to do the RIV inspection and such before you can even attempt to get your car registered here. There are things they will require from you to register your car in Ontario, however, none of them are your previous registration. As long as your title does not list your registration (I.E. license plate numbers) on it, then you won't have an issue. Keep in mind though, that Canada does in fact have shared information with some US states and you might very well have a larger issue at hand with your actual driving license exchange. I suggest you get your drivers abstracts from your current/past states to see what is listed there. I got a speeding ticket, first one in my life ever, in Windsor. I paid the fine within the 30 days specified, however, when I got my drivers abstract from Michigan it was there on my license and it didn't even happen in the good ole US of A. Just food for thought, my friend.