+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Registering car after RIV inspection

kc247

Jul 25, 2014
I got my RIV inspection done at Canadian Tire on Monday, was going to get it registered today but when I called to get insurance put on it they said we need to get proof of no citations in the state we previously lived in, and proof of previous insurance. & from what I understand in NS you need to show proof of insurance to register a vehicle. Does anyone know if you need to REGISTER the car within the 45 days or if that is just the RIV? Or does the RIV inspection expire? Just wondering if I have extra time because the 45 days expires on Saturday, which only gives me tomorrow to register it. Can't seem to find an answer anywhere else.

djluvrocks

Star Member
May 14, 2018
I got my RIV inspection done at Canadian Tire on Monday, was going to get it registered today but when I called to get insurance put on it they said we need to get proof of no citations in the state we previously lived in, and proof of previous insurance. & from what I understand in NS you need to show proof of insurance to register a vehicle. Does anyone know if you need to REGISTER the car within the 45 days or if that is just the RIV? Or does the RIV inspection expire? Just wondering if I have extra time because the 45 days expires on Saturday, which only gives me tomorrow to register it. Can't seem to find an answer anywhere else.
You're running against clock here. You have 45 days to register it and the Inspection Form that RIV sends you before you took your car to Canadian Tire also has a date on it. Get your car registered ASAP or speak to RIV and try to extend your date, which is unlikely.

wecash

May 17, 2021
@kc247, did you happen to get an answer for your Q? is 45 day limit only for RIV or does it apply for registration also ?