+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Registered nurses!

Scandinavian

Star Member
Nov 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I would like to know what your tasks and job is a like in your country as a reg. nurse before applying as a skilled worker to Canada (or the one´s who already are working in Canada) and to do the CRNE test. It would be interesting to know how your day as a reg. nurse would look like! :)

I work at a medical acute ward with 24 patients. I usually have 4-6 patients per day (8 hours) to take care of during my shift and that includes all their medicine. If I am working as a pair* with an enrolled nurse, I have to take care of her patients medicine too. My day at ward would look like this: *meaning that we are having patients in rooms close to each other (eg. she has room 3-4 and I have 5-6..)

7-10am: reading the patients report from data, having a brief info from the night nurse about the patients condition etc and then going to the pharmaceutical room and recheck that the patients have been distributed the right medicine (the afternoon shift nurse metes them out the day earlier) and then I am checking who needs iv. medication that the dr has ordered (like antibiotics, diuretics, pain relief, blood transfsuions etc) and start preparing them (usually six out of ten patients are having the iv. medication). After that I give the medication to the patients, take their vitals (before and sometimes after), check blood sugar etc and after that the breakfast has to be delivered. In between the bells are ringing, you run from room to room, check the patients conditions, give oxygen etc. Make their beds, change the sheets (if needed..)

After that, I might give them a bed bath, take them to shower, toilet etc or putting in a new cannula insertion (if needed) and then the doctor rond is about to begin. Give the doctor the report about my patients and listen to what they have been planning and discussing the plan with the doctor.

After doctor round I do changes in patients medication, fill in and print new medication reports, order laboratory tests, call their family if needed (eg if they are going home or somewhere else).

12pm: Lunch, going back to do the medication again, (iv. per os) and recheck the distributed medication. Helping to deliver the lunhc trays to patients, help them to eat etc. (in between trying to have a break for 5-15 minutes)

13-14pm filling in patient report in computer, doing medication changes, getting report from emergency by phone (new patients are coming in) and those who go out I check their prescriptions (made by a doctor), call a taxi or ambulance etc
14-15pm coffee for patients, help them with eating, distributing the coffee, taking the patients to toilet, changing clothes, diapers (if needed) talking with relatives to the patients etc (and medication in between, if needed). And many tasks in between..

It´s busy all the time. I love my job and I work quite independently. Usually if a patient needs an infusion (like eg. Sodiumchlorid etc) I may do that decision without asking a doctor. But the doctor is usually giving an order about the medicine but if he is not available and you need to give the patient something rapidly, you just do it.

Would love to know how the medications are done in Canada, since I have heard that almost all the medicine are prepared by the pharmaceuts?

Scandinavian

Star Member
Nov 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And put in what kind of education program! I have been studying to be a reg. nurse for 3,5 years at bachelor level (university of applied science). Thank´s! :)