+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regarding OHIP Insurance Validity After Layoff on LMIA Work Visa in Canada

May 17, 2023
Hi All,

I arrived here with an LMIA-based work visa, and unfortunately, after only a few months of employment, I have been laid off. During my time here, I was able to obtain an Ontario Health Insurance (OHIP) card, which is valid for the duration of my work permit.

I am uncertain about the status of my OHIP insurance now that I have been laid off. Specifically, I would like to know if my OHIP insurance remains valid or if it becomes nullified upon termination of my employment.

I would appreciate it if someone could clarify what will happen to my OHIP ?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Regards
~Kadi

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

I arrived here with an LMIA-based work visa, and unfortunately, after only a few months of employment, I have been laid off. During my time here, I was able to obtain an Ontario Health Insurance (OHIP) card, which is valid for the duration of my work permit.

I am uncertain about the status of my OHIP insurance now that I have been laid off. Specifically, I would like to know if my OHIP insurance remains valid or if it becomes nullified upon termination of my employment.

I would appreciate it if someone could clarify what will happen to my OHIP ?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Regards
~Kadi
Would still be valid upon termination but in order to qualify you had to show a letter indicating that you would be working full-time for your employer for over six months. Did your employer provide that letter? That is because you would then be a tax resident and pay into the healthcare system. How long did you actually work? When you applied for OHIP was there a 3 month wait period before you qualified for OHIP? Still unclear whether the 3 months has returned and if it returned when did it return. What do you plan on doing now that you are in Canada without employment? This is a very unusual circumstance so I would contact OHIP and ask whether you qualify for OHIP given that you have not worked for 6 months full-time as someone on a WP.

May 17, 2023
Thanks @canuck78 for the information

I worked less than 6 months

> Did your employer provide that letter?

No, they didn't provide such a letter but I have a service letter and the record of employment (both indicate less than 6 months of service)

> How long did you actually work?

less than 4 months

> When you applied for OHIP was there a 3-month wait period before you qualified for OHIP?

No, I applied just a few days into the work

> What do you plan on doing now that you are in Canada without employment?

continuously looking for a new job