+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

regarding OCI application for my wife and son

lauris17

Mar 15, 2016
hello to all , Good morning everyone .ladies and gentlemen need some typically information that i am unable to search out. i am Canadian citizen and my wife she is from Colombia. we just got baby last month in canada . our relationship calls common law. i do have OCI already . my wife status in canada is student visa. i applied for her open work permit and pr on my behalf as family sponsorship . Her application is in process. would she is eligible to apply OCI ??? if yes what kind of documents required for her . for my son application what kind of documents required ? any advice would be appreciated . thanks in advance

lauris17

Mar 15, 2016
Lol, it's really funny answer. Seriously I can't apply for my son. But I know a couple they r Indian and got babies here in Canada. They got oci card for kids too.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
lauris17 said:
hello to all , Good morning everyone .ladies and gentlemen need some typically information that i am unable to search out. i am Canadian citizen and my wife she is from Colombia. we just got baby last month in canada . our relationship calls common law. i do have OCI already . my wife status in canada is student visa. i applied for her open work permit and pr on my behalf as family sponsorship . Her application is in process. would she is eligible to apply OCI ??? if yes what kind of documents required for her . for my son application what kind of documents required ? any advice would be appreciated . thanks in advance
Assuming you are referring to the OCI, Indian government's permanent visa for people of Indian origin.

If your wife is from Columbia, unless one of her parents is of Indian Origin, she will NOT be eligible, however your son will be eligible.

lauris17

Mar 15, 2016
Thanking you so much. So I can apply for my son? What documents basically required for him to get oci?

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
lauris17 said:
Thanking you so much. So I can apply for my son? What documents basically required for him to get oci?
BLS Offices operates on behalf of Consulate General of India, handle OCI, passport renewal & other counselor services. Located at Lawrence & Victoria Park Intersection in the strip mall, next to the Baskin Robin Ice Cream stores.

Check out their website BLS services or personally visit them, be prepared to spend at least couple of hourson each visit. Chances are BLS will make you visit multiple times even to accept the application, you can't help it, its total chaotic way they operates. The fee is around $280 and takes 6 - 8 weeks to process.

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lauris17 said:
If either of the parents are of indian origin (that can be proved) and the parents name is on the birth certificate of the child, the child is eligible for an OCI.

for proving parents indian origin, you can use the surrendered passport, letter of renunciation and your current oci booklet.

unless the significant other is a spouse, he/she does not qualify for OCI.

would requset that you also look at the bls canada website - they do have some clear definitions.

hope this helps.

Krutika

Star Member
May 5, 2016
If either of the parents are of indian origin (that can be proved) and the parents name is on the birth certificate of the child, the child is eligible for an OCI.

for proving parents indian origin, you can use the surrendered passport, letter of renunciation and your current oci booklet.

unless the significant other is a spouse, he/she does not qualify for OCI.

would requset that you also look at the bls canada website - they do have some clear definitions.

hope this helps.

Trying to revive this old thread, to see if there was a resolution ..
What do you put down in OCI application if your spouse is a common law partner ..?
They don't seem to have an option for that ..
If a person of Indian origin's children are at least eligible (with name on birth certificate of course and surrendered Indian passport), then how can the application for that child be made?
They ask for spouse name and marriage certificate, etc .. which is not available with common law.
Offering this service in Canada, they should at least recognize that and make it an option.
I was surprised to see they have transgender as an option for gender ..but they don't have common law lol!

oci applicant

Oct 17, 2023
What do you put down in OCI application if your spouse is a common law partner ..?
If a person of Indian origin's children are at least eligible (with name on birth certificate of course and surrendered Indian passport), then how can the application for that child be made?
They ask for spouse name and marriage certificate, etc .. which is not available with common law.
Offering this service in Canada, they should at least recognize that and make it an option.
I was surprised to see they have transgender as an option for gender ..but they don't have common law lol!
Hi there.. I am currently in that same boat. i know its been a while ,.. but did you get through this common law situation? i am applying for my son oci application. and i am indian and my partner is canadian.

gettoindia

Dec 20, 2022
Hi there.. I am currently in that same boat. i know its been a while ,.. but did you get through this common law situation? i am applying for my son oci application. and i am indian and my partner is canadian.
Hello .. so for applying oci for minor and if you are in common law , then minor is not eligible?