+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

regarding nonresident for tax purpose

fromEast

Oct 19, 2016
Dear all,
I would liket to have your opinion whethere I'm a nonresident.
I left Canada couple of years ago shortly after I signed a divorced my ex-wife. We agreed our son will be under her custody. I paid off all spousal and child support up to my son is 18 years old. Then I left. I had no house(which went to my ex-wife), no car/driver license, health card or any other membership. I still have an RRSP and RESP account.
So questions
1. Am I considered a nonresident for tax purposes?
2. Can I contribute to my child's RESP account from abroad?
3. I received money gift and inheritance from my dad(also outside Canada), in future, if I want to bring all my savings back to Canada, will I have any trouble in proving these funds are from my dad and not income?
thanks a lot!

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
fromEast said:
Dear all,
I would liket to have your opinion whethere I'm a nonresident.
I left Canada couple of years ago shortly after I signed a divorced my ex-wife. We agreed our son will be under her custody. I paid off all spousal and child support up to my son is 18 years old. Then I left. I had no house(which went to my ex-wife), no car/driver license, health card or any other membership. I still have an RRSP and RESP account.
So questions
1. Am I considered a nonresident for tax purposes?
2. Can I contribute to my child's RESP account from abroad?
3. I received money gift and inheritance from my dad(also outside Canada), in future, if I want to bring all my savings back to Canada, will I have any trouble in proving these funds are from my dad and not income?
thanks a lot!
1) Yes, you are a non-resident
2) I'm not sure, but I believe so
3) It doesn't matter whether the funds were a gift or earnings. As you are a non-resident, the funds won't be taxed whenever you decide to return to Canada.