Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2010
AOR Received.
26-10-2010
Interview........
15-3-2012
Hi
I am an Indian planning to move to Canada next month. Pls. guide will my India Driving License work in Canada for initial some period
(and for how much period).Do I need to get an International Driving license issued and for how long that will work in Montreal.

asw

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
asw said:
Hi
I am an Indian planning to move to Canada next month. Pls. guide will my India Driving License work in Canada for initial some period
(and for how much period).Do I need to get an International Driving license issued and for how long that will work in Montreal.

asw
You are authorized to drive in Canada for six months period with your licence. Before that you should get the respective province's driver's licence.

BC2013

Feb 21, 2012
LANDED..........
7-16-2014
The provinces have different rules regarding this issue.
If settling in Quebec, it seems that you are OK to use your licence for up to 12months:

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/driver_licence/exchange/index.php

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BC2013 said:
The provinces have different rules regarding this issue.
If settling in Quebec, it seems that you are OK to use your licence for up to 12months:

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/driver_licence/exchange/index.php
BC is 90 days. Quebec is actually 6 months http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/driver_licence/exchange/residents_other.php as the OP can't exchange his/her license.

dubaiite

May 3, 2011
canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
1-11-2012
LANDED..........
24-3-2013
PMM said:
Hi

BC is 90 days. Quebec is actually 6 months http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/driver_licence/exchange/residents_other.php as the OP can't exchange his/her license.
Please tell me what about Ontario....

kannadakanmani

Mar 12, 2012
Does India issue International driving License. My understanding is, it is the international driving permit which is valid with a driving license and a passport. Check below.

Visiting: less than 3 months
If you are visiting Ontario for less than 3 months and want to drive while you’re here, you can use a valid driver’s licence from your own province, state or country.

You will also need to:

•Be at least 16 years old
•Have proper insurance coverage for the vehicle you will drive
•Carry an original (or exact) copy of the vehicle ownership permit
•Obey traffic laws, drive safely and avoid collisions when you drive.

Visiting: more than 3 months
If you will be visiting from another country for more than 3 months, you will need an International Driver's Permit (IDP) from your own country.

This is a special licence that allows motorists to drive internationally when accompanied by a valid driver’s licence from their country.

You need to have this permit with you when you arrive in Ontario. You cannot apply for one once you are here.

-KK

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kannadakanmani said:
Visiting: more than 3 months
If you will be visiting from another country for more than 3 months, you will need an International Driver's Permit (IDP) from your own country.
That is if you are visiting. If you are settling, you have only 60 days, see http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/exchange-foreign-drivers-licence

When you move to Ontario, you can use a valid licence from another province, state or country for 60 days. After 60 days, you need to switch to an Ontario driver’s licence.

umsalma

Star Member
Jan 15, 2011
canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
december 2010
AOR Received.
january 2011
Med's Done....
07/12/2011
Passport Req..
26/04/2012
VISA ISSUED...
09/05/2012
LANDED..........
landed safely
It does not matter if you have a valid driving licence or an international driving licence it's the same ,you will have a period of 90 days to drive but after that you will have to go through the driving licence procedure here in canada ...the only good thing about it is that you will have no long period waiting (9 months) after you get your knowledge test immediately you can pass the road test.
That is what I know as far as Manitoba is concerned.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
umsalma said:
It does not matter if you have a valid driving licence or an international driving licence it's the same ,you will have a period of 90 days to drive
But if you encountered a sh!tty police officer, your valid out-of-province driving license or international driving license might be seized and you can't drive anymore. It doesn't matter if you had a period of 90 days to drive.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Provinces have different rules. Some provinces may allow a long term visitor or a student to drive on an IDP for up to 1 year. Most however want you to get a drivers license sooner if you are settling. Many provinces have the time of 90 days to do that but in Ontario it's 60 days and in some provinces it may be longer. I believe in PEI it's 4 months.

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
Its a relief to me to know that If I have valid Driving license issued by India and International Driving permit (Issues in India) with me, I can drive for 60 days. Also, If I understand correct, I can straightaway give the road test and written test without any delay.

This way, In ON,BC, Quebec we dont have to wait for G2, G1 queues...
Is this correct?

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
asw said:
Hi

asw
Are you in Canada already? What about the DL in Canada? Which province you have landed ? And could you straight away give the knowledge test and road test?

dubaiite

May 3, 2011
canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
1-11-2012
LANDED..........
24-3-2013
sharat_joshi77 said:
Are you in Canada already? What about the DL in Canada? Which province you have landed ? And could you straight away give the knowledge test and road test?
Yes if you can prove an experience of more than two years [ through an authentication letter of RTO] in Ontario you can directly sit for Written test and after clearing that you have one chance to clear the G license Test

berbu

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-11-2012
AOR Received.
13-12-2012
Med's Done....
16-10-12
asw said:
Hi

asw
Dude, please don't drive in Montreal like you do in India, you'll end up getting someone killed. I just came back from a month in India and I'm pretty sure I lost a few points of hearing because of the honking. Everyone has tunnel vision there.

sabret00the

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Calgary
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC: Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Not relevant
App. Filed.......
12-Sep-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
25-Nov-2014
AOR Received.
06-Jul-2015
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
31-Aug-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jan-2015 (TRV Meds have not yet expired)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-Sep-2015
VISA ISSUED...
16-Sep-2015
LANDED..........
Dec 2015
Any idea about Nova Scotia?