+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regarding citizenship

HeidiC

Jul 17, 2014
I was born in Canada in 1976. In 1992, I went on vacation in Denmark, and decided to move there. As this was my first trip out of the country, I chose a Danish passport (because my parents were Danish, I was 16 and thought it was "cool" at the time - the embassy makes me believe that my Danish passport might pose a problem for me?). I have been living in Denmark ever since.

I would now like to return to Canada for good. I am unsure if I renounced my citizenship at the age of 18. I still have my old SIN card and birth certificate. There must be a way I can find out if I am still a citizen without having to send applications? Is there a way?

Many thanks in advance,
HeidiC

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
HeidiC said:
I was born in Canada in 1976. In 1992, I went on vacation in Denmark, and decided to move there. As this was my first trip out of the country, I chose a Danish passport (because my parents were Danish, I was 16 and thought it was "cool" at the time - the embassy makes me believe that my Danish passport might pose a problem for me?). I have been living in Denmark ever since.

I would now like to return to Canada for good. I am unsure if I renounced my citizenship at the age of 18. I still have my old SIN card and birth certificate. There must be a way I can find out if I am still a citizen without having to send applications? Is there a way?

Many thanks in advance,
HeidiC
Since you were born in Canada, you still have Canadian citizen. The only way you would have lost it is if you actually did the paperwork to renounce your citizenship.

Screech339

HeidiC

Jul 17, 2014
Thank you, that was the response I was hoping for :)
However I do vaguely remember one piece of paper I received around the age of 18, without remembering anything about its contents... I fear it could have been just that; a 'do you want to renounce your citizenship' paper, without being sure (hey, I was young and foolish).
I remember it as a yes/no please check a box type of thing. Surely that wouldn't have been enough to renounce?
Is there any way for me to find out for sure? Somewhere in Canada that I might call and find out? Perhaps by giving my SIN number or such?
Thanks again!

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even if you have renounced your citizenship you can always resume as you were born in Canada.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
HeidiC said:
Thank you, that was the response I was hoping for :)
However I do vaguely remember one piece of paper I received around the age of 18, without remembering anything about its contents... I fear it could have been just that; a 'do you want to renounce your citizenship' paper, without being sure (hey, I was young and foolish).
I remember it as a yes/no please check a box type of thing. Surely that wouldn't have been enough to renounce?
Is there any way for me to find out for sure? Somewhere in Canada that I might call and find out? Perhaps by giving my SIN number or such?
Thanks again!
I was born in Canada in '73 and I never had any such paper asking me about renouncing my citizenship ever. So don't worry. You are canadian.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

screech339 said:
I was born in Canada in '73 and I never had any such paper asking me about renouncing my citizenship ever. So don't worry. You are canadian.
Not necessarily. As Denmark doesn't allow dual citizenship (parliament is debating it now) it is quite possible that the OP did renounce his Canadian citizenship when he turned 18 so that s/he could retain his/her Danish citizenship. Once you renounce your Canadian citizenship, it is gone, whether you were born in Canad or not. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/renounce.asp

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
PMM said:
Hi

Not necessarily. As Denmark doesn't allow dual citizenship (parliament is debating it now) it is quite possible that the OP did renounce his Canadian citizenship when he turned 18 so that s/he could retain his/her Danish citizenship. Once you renounce your Canadian citizenship, it is gone, whether you were born in Canad or not. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/renounce.asp
That is true. But in order to officially renounce it, you must complete paperwork including sending in renunciation fees associated with it.

US doesn't recognized dual citizen either. Canadians have been able to retain their citizenship after acquiring US citizenship despite swearing to US official that they renounce all other citizenship they have. Because this wasn't done in front of Canadian officials, canada doesn't recognize the renunciation.

Denmark cannot forced Canadians to lose their citizenship anymore than US can force Canadians to lose theirs. Did Denmark forced the OP to go to Canadian embassy to renounce citizenship. No they did not.

As far as I'm concerned to OP, unless the OP went before Canadian officials at the Canadian embassy in Denmark, and renounced Canadian citizenship, OP is still Canadian as far is Canada is concerned.

Screech339

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
screech339 said:
That is true. But in order to officially renounce it, you must complete paperwork including sending in renunciation fees associated with it.

US doesn't recognized dual citizen either. Canadians have been able to retain their citizenship after acquiring US citizenship despite swearing to US official that they renounce all other citizenship they have. Because this wasn't done in front of Canadian officials, canada doesn't recognize the renunciation.

Denmark cannot forced Canadians to lose their citizenship anymore than US can force Canadians to lose theirs. Did Denmark forced the OP to go to Canadian embassy to renounce citizenship. No they did not.

As far as I'm concerned to OP, unless the OP went before Canadian officials at the Canadian embassy in Denmark, and renounced Canadian citizenship, OP is still Canadian as far is Canada is concerned.

Screech339
I sorry to say that ... this is totally wrong. First US allows dual citizenship. Second, those countries which do not allow dual citizenship they force you to give up the other citizenship and bring the renounce certificate and if you dose not agree you will loose the citizenship of this country.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Travel Dream said:
I sorry to say that ... this is totally wrong. First US allows dual citizenship. Second, those countries which do not allow dual citizenship they force you to give up the other citizenship and bring the renounce certificate and if you dose not agree you will loose the citizenship of this country.
US doesn't officially recognized dual citizenship. It does realize that there are people who are dual in their country but that doesn't mean they accept dual. They will only recognize American citizenship side only.

Even their law states that all Americans must use their US passport to enter regardless if you are dual or not. You cannot even enter US using your non US passport. If US officially recognize dual citizen, they would have allowed Americans to use their foreign passport to enter. As long as their law states that they must enter US using US passport, that means they do not official recognize dual citizenship.

My children are dual, American and Canadian. Even they cannot even enter US using their Canadian passport.

It is true that some countries do not allow dual citizenship. However the onus is on the OP to prove that they officially renounce it in order to keep the new citizenship. If the Canadian doesn't complete the renunciation process, the Canadian is at risk of losing the newly acquired citizenship.

Simply by checking a "yes" on the form with no signature, with no official renunciation in front of Canadian officials is not enough to make OP lose Canadian citizenship. The whole process takes about 3-4 months to do.

The OP would have to prove to Canadian officials that he/she has another citizenship so that the person cannot become stateless. More paperwork. Just by checking "yes" and without sending it in with application and fees and documentations is not going to work.

I am only going by what the OP has said. "Only remember checking yes on a piece of paper" and that was it. If the OP doesn't remember any more than that, it probably no even official renounced at all, as far as Canada is concerned.

In order to renounce Canadian citizenship, you have an application to fill out, plus documentations and fees. At some point, you would have to go to Canadian officials and swear in front of them as last step before the citizenship is officially renounced. After the renunciation, the applicant would have to surrender Canadian documents, including SIN card and Canadian Passport, The whole process takes about 3-4 months to complete. If the OP don't remember doing any of that, it probably means, the OP still have Canadian citizenship.

Screech339

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
screech339 said:
US doesn't officially recognized dual citizenship. It does realize that there are people who are dual in their country but that doesn't mean they accept dual. They will only recognize American citizenship side only.

Even their law states that all Americans must use their US passport to enter regardless if you are dual or not. You cannot even enter US using your non US passport. If US officially recognize dual citizen, they would have allowed Americans to use their foreign passport to enter. As long as their law states that they must enter US using US passport, that means they do not official recognize dual citizenship.

My children are dual, American and Canadian. Even they cannot even enter US using their Canadian passport.

It is true that some countries do not allow dual citizenship. However the onus is on the OP to prove that they officially renounce it in order to keep the new citizenship. If the Canadian doesn't complete the renunciation process, the Canadian is at risk of losing the newly acquired citizenship.

Simply by checking a "yes" on the form with no signature, with no official renunciation in front of Canadian officials is not enough to make OP lose Canadian citizenship. The whole process takes about 3-4 months to do.

The OP would have to prove to Canadian officials that he/she has another citizenship so that the person cannot become stateless. More paperwork. Just by checking "yes" and without sending it in with application and fees and documentations is not going to work.

I am only going by what the OP has said. "Only remember checking yes on a piece of paper" and that was it. If the OP doesn't remember any more than that, it probably no even official renounced at all, as far as Canada is concerned.

In order to renounce Canadian citizenship, you have an application to fill out, plus documentations and fees. At some point, you would have to go to Canadian officials and swear in front of them as last step before the citizenship is officially renounced. After the renunciation, the applicant would have to surrender Canadian documents, including SIN card and Canadian Passport, The whole process takes about 3-4 months to complete. If the OP don't remember doing any of that, it probably means, the OP still have Canadian citizenship.

Screech339
Thanks for explanation ...

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 15, 2012 (rec'd)
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2013 (rec'd May 2, 2013)
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

If this is correct, OP should consider what the implications are for her Danish citizenship. As per screech339, it doesn't sound like Canadian citizenship was formally renounced. However, the "piece of paper" you received at 18 may have been from the Danish government asking you to confirm that you renounced your Canadian citizenship (so you can retain your Danish citizenship/passport). If you marked "yes" you renounced and now try to get a Canadian passport...you misrepresented yourself (i.e., lied) to the Danish government. I have no idea what the repercussions of this would be...surely though you'd at least have to give up your Danish passport ASAP?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The best way would be to wait and see if dual citizenship is allowed in Denmark. If it is, then apply for a Canadian passport through the Canadian consulate/embassy and see what happens.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Travel Dream said:
Thanks for explanation ...
Here is a link regarding US policy on dual nationals.

http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/dual-nationality.html

A U.S. national may acquire foreign nationality by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. national may not lose the nationality of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another nationality does not risk losing U.S. nationality. However, a person who acquires a foreign nationality by applying for it may lose U.S. nationality. In order to lose U.S. nationality, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. nationality.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct. The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. nationals may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist nationals abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

NOTE that US accept that a person can be dual upon birth through (ie my children) or through marriage (ie France). Although the US does not officially mentioned dual nationality in their laws, it does say that US national can lose their US citizenship when one acquire another citizenship voluntarily out of their own free will.

When US can take away citizenship when one gains another voluntarily or have a law that states that it is against the law for Americans to enter US with a non-US passport, that doesn't sound like US accepts dual citizenship.

HeidiC

Jul 17, 2014
Hi all, lot's of information in here :)
I can guarantee that I never paid any fees, never collected/sent any documentation, never filled out any applications and have never stood before any Canadian officials (or danish).
I might add, that I never required any visa or anything to come to Denmark. It turned out my mother brought me here when I was a toddler and I got my CPR-number back then. So when I eventually did come here, I was already registered in the system as a citizen (danish parents). So I really am starting to wonder why neither country has ever asked me what my intentions were. Also starting to wonder if it could be possible that I somehow do indeed have a sort of "dual" citizenship.

My first thought was to try to apply for a Canadian passport, however, the passport site states that merely being in possession of a passport is not any indication of being a Canadian citizen.
Still unsure of how to go about finding out for sure whether I am, or I'm not :)

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
There is no harm in applying for new Canada passport regardless. If you get denied, at least you know for sure.

Screech339