+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regarding a mistake in the police clearance certificate

Debarpita

Feb 12, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have applied for PCC after I received the ITA in January. It is written "resident permit" instead of "immigration other than citizenship". I am asked to get another PCC since this is rejected. On the other hand when I requested PSK to make corrections or allow me to reapply for PCC, they informed that I cannot do so until the current PCC expires (which is one year). This will result in rejection of my ITA, my medical would expire by then as well. The last date of submission of my visa application is 12th March. Can anyone advice me what I can do in this situation?

Mr_Chang

Star Member
Dec 14, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have applied for PCC after I received the ITA in January. It is written "resident permit" instead of "immigration other than citizenship". I am asked to get another PCC since this is rejected. On the other hand when I requested PSK to make corrections or allow me to reapply for PCC, they informed that I cannot do so until the current PCC expires (which is one year). This will result in rejection of my ITA, my medical would expire by then as well. The last date of submission of my visa application is 12th March. Can anyone advice me what I can do in this situation?
I'm assuming your PCC has language to the effect of

"It is certified that there is no adverse information against XYZ holder of passport 1234 issued at ABC, on whatever date, which would render him or her ineligible for Residence Permit for Canada"

I believe that is the standard text for a PCC issued by the PSK, what exactly was the reason for rejection, did they specifically point out that the words "Residence Permit" were what made the PCC unusable for an express entry PR?

aniks125

Nov 3, 2018
I think that You can go ahead and submit it. The reason is the text that directly flows from what you had entered in the PCC application form, and the VO would be more interested in the passport number and the adversary report.

Debarpita

Feb 12, 2019
I'm assuming your PCC has language to the effect of

"It is certified that there is no adverse information against XYZ holder of passport 1234 issued at ABC, on whatever date, which would render him or her ineligible for Residence Permit for Canada"

I believe that is the standard text for a PCC issued by the PSK, what exactly was the reason for rejection, did they specifically point out that the words "Residence Permit" were what made the PCC unusable for an express entry PR?
Yes, those are the exact words written on the PCC. But instead of "RESIDENCE PERMIT" it must be "IMMIGRATION OTHER THAN CITIZENSHIP". My consultant says my application has a chance of getting rejected because of this. And PSK says I cannot reapply for PCC unless the first one expires. M really confused and stuck. Kindly advise what I can do.

Debarpita

Feb 12, 2019
I think that You can go ahead and submit it. The reason is the text that directly flows from what you had entered in the PCC application form, and the VO would be more interested in the passport number and the adversary report.
True. But residence permit applies for people who are applying for PR after three years of stay in Canada. For express entry application it's "immigration other than citizenship" what should I do now?

harnav sra

Nov 3, 2018
Yes, those are the exact words written on the PCC. But instead of "RESIDENCE PERMIT" it must be "IMMIGRATION OTHER THAN CITIZENSHIP". My consultant says my application has a chance of getting rejected because of this. And PSK says I cannot reapply for PCC unless the first one expires. M really confused and stuck. Kindly advise what I can do.
Very strange, we cannot ask psk people to write languages according to us. Daily 100 people apply pcc .

Mr_Chang

Star Member
Dec 14, 2018
My brother was a resident in Dubai and had to get his India PCC from the Indian consulate there.

The language on his PCC was "This is to certify that there is no adverse information in respect to Mr. ABC Holder of Indian Passport No. 1234 which would render him/her ineligible for grant of travel facilities including Visa to Canada"

He already received his PR and has been living in Canada for the last 5 months. There was never an ADR or other inquiry with regards to his PCC. I believe the two main things the Visa Officer will be looking for is "no adverse information" and the passport number.

That said, I do not feel comfortable overriding your consultant as I do not have any permit to give you legal or official advice. But I would say, maybe check the consultants credentials, I've noticed that a lot of consultants try to "increase the complexity" of the whole process just to make you feel that you received service that was essential and you would have been in trouble had you not hired the consultant. Again I'm not saying all consultant do this, I'm just speaking from personal experience.

Reactions: Cyfa

harnav sra

Nov 3, 2018
My brother was a resident in Dubai and had to get his India PCC from the Indian consulate there.

The language on his PCC was "This is to certify that there is no adverse information in respect to Mr. ABC Holder of Indian Passport No. 1234 which would render him/her ineligible for grant of travel facilities including Visa to Canada"

He already received his PR and has been living in Canada for the last 5 months. There was never an ADR or other inquiry with regards to his PCC. I believe the two main things the Visa Officer will be looking for is "no adverse information" and the passport number.

That said, I do not feel comfortable overriding your consultant as I do not have any permit to give you legal or official advice. But I would say, maybe check the consultants credentials, I've noticed that a lot of consultants try to "increase the complexity" of the whole process just to make you feel that you received service that was essential and you would have been in trouble had you not hired the consultant. Again I'm not saying all consultant do this, I'm just speaking from personal experience.
Rightly said

Payalcan

Nov 1, 2019
Hello everyone,

Hi Debarpita,

Could you share what happened finally with your express entry PR application? I am concerned as I had selected the same purpose as yours to get PCC.

Debarpita

Feb 12, 2019
Hi Debarpita,

Could you share what happened finally with your express entry PR application? I am concerned as I had selected the same purpose as yours to get PCC.
I reapplied for PCC. I did not tell anything in the psk office. I filled out the form, this time selecting the correct option. After submission, again a police officer was sent to my address for verification and in another two days I got my new PCC, which I submitted in the IRCC portal.

It's been 7 months yet no update on the application status. It says, "your application is taking longer than usual". Awaiting the golden mail to arrive.

Payalcan

Nov 1, 2019
I reapplied for PCC. I did not tell anything in the psk office. I filled out the form, this time selecting the correct option. After submission, again a police officer was sent to my address for verification and in another two days I got my new PCC, which I submitted in the IRCC portal.

It's been 7 months yet no update on the application status. It says, "your application is taking longer than usual". Awaiting the golden mail to arrive.
Good to hear that! Best luck for your PR. There is lot of confusion between those 2 options. Many say "Residence permit" works, yours is the only case where I am seeing it did not work. Hard luck I guess. I have submitted with the same option. I am thinking, I will go ahead with the same PCC. It's relief to hear you just got it re-issued, because when I called PAssport office they told me the same that they won't re-issue before 6 months. Thank you for your reply

Debarpita

Feb 12, 2019
Yes, they told the same thing to me over the phone but when I went ahead and applied they did not say anything. Also as far my knowledge goes "Residence Permit" is applicable for Inbound applicants (people who work in Canada and are applying for PR) for Outbound applicants "immigration other than Citizenship" is applicable.​

Payalcan

Nov 1, 2019
Yes, they told the same thing to me over the phone but when I went ahead and applied they did not say anything. Also as far my knowledge goes "Residence Permit" is applicable for Inbound applicants (people who work in Canada and are applying for PR) for Outbound applicants "immigration other than Citizenship" is applicable.​
Seems like a valid explaination. Were they aware that you had applied earlier short time back, i mean is there a way for them to know that?

Debarpita

Feb 12, 2019
Seems like a valid explaination. Were they aware that you had applied earlier short time back, i mean is there a way for them to know that?
They probably did or did not. But really it didn't make any difference. Just don't tell them you are reapplying, just go any apply as if it's your first time. Nothing should happen.