+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

refused, need advise

Ace2020

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
my friend's visa was refused today, please help. he wants to start september 2021

No AIP, No medical request, his background says: not applicable.

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.

education:
graduated nursing
but studied again culinary school diploma

family and finance

mother: in my current country with me, senior citizen,
-is my sponsor ( i sent file affidavit of support and declaration of funds too )
-bank statement: 192,000 cad in her name only ( but i sent file affidavit of support and declaration of funds too that she is my sponsor)
- house property in mom's name

IELTS
OVERALL 7, lowest 6

Will order gcms notes. but for now, any opinion?? please help

does my friend have a chance?
what can he do to improve profile?

Last edited:

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
It is a very common theme.... Those who apply for post graduate diplomas (as opposed to Masters or PhD) see a high probability of refusal. So I suggest you apply for a masters degree.

As for the funds... CAD 192K is plenty but given your age and you current status, I think these funds should be in your name. Someone else may want t o correct me, but if you're an 18 yr old straight out of Highschool, it's fine to have all the money in your parents' bank account. If you're 30 however, they should be in your account.

The 3rd reason (family ties) is always a tough one. I'm not sure what your nationality is and where you applied from. But family ties is always the more difficult one to work around. If you don't have them, then you don't have them. The only way you can offset a deficiency in this is to be strong in the other 2 points mentioned above.

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
thank you for the response!

yes he has bachelors degree
but he changed career. he graduated culinary school diploma 2019
so he is very interested in food and want to know more in healthy side.

if he makes the bank account joint his mother and him. will that be ok? will the visa officer question that??

also, does having job offer in the philippines after studying in canada help or will that only raise more doubt to them??
To be brutally frank with you... It does not matter what he's interested in and what more he wants to know about healthy cuisine, visa officers seem to be refusing applicants who opts for these types of post graduate Diplomas.

Having the funds in a joint account would probably help but I believe they need to be there for over 4 months before this carries any weight.

A job offer back home is probably more on the weaker side if we're talking about reasons to come back. Visa Officers do in fact read your SOP or Explanation Letter. Let him write his story (in no more than a page and a half) and explain how he sees a MASTERS degree as a value adding element to his future plans in the Philippines.

This is, I believe, the best shot he has. Out of curiosity; was he guided through this process by a consultant who charged a fee? I ask before they are the main culprits in pushing applicants to opt for these PG Diplomas.

Ace2020

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
the "purpose of visit" is this only about the course he will take in canada? or it is about something else?

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
the "purpose of visit" is this only about the course he will take in canada? or it is about something else?
I'm afraid this is my limit in terms of giving advice. I would seek @jigzyy, @tapperb and others who have a lot more experience than I to answer your questions. I'm happy to hear you got your AIP and hopefully you approval will come soon.

Reactions: Ace2020

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
my friend's visa was refused today, please help. he wants to start september 2021

No AIP, No medical request, his background says: not applicable.

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.

30 years old
education:
graduated nursing 2010
but studied again culinary school diploma 2018

Work Experience
December 2011-August 2012: Financial Solution Associate
June 2013-January 2014: Patient Care Coordinator
May 2015-January 2016: burger business
April 2019- feb 2020: private chef

family and finance

sister in USA resident
father: diseased
mother: in my current country with me, senior citizen, has 2745 cad per month monthly pension ( just converted my currency to cad)
-is my sponsor ( i sent file affidavit of support and declaration of funds too )
-bank statement: 192,000 cad in her name only ( but i sent file affidavit of support and declaration of funds too that she is my sponsor)
- paid first semester only
- house property in mom's name

IELTS
OVERALL 7, lowest 6

Will order gcms notes. but for now, any opinion?? please help.

additional info:

applied to humber toronto: Food and Nutrition management diploma for 2 years
SOP: want to start healthy food business. also, lot of job opportunies if returned back to country after studying in canada

does my friend have a chance?
what can he do to improve profile?
They want to see money in your bank account. Not your mother's.

Reactions: Ace2020

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
can he just add his name to his mother's account? then it will be a joint account
cause he dont have enough money
Thats the problem right? The visa officer knows the applicant do not have enough money, which does not meet the requirements of the study permit.

Transfer all the money you set aside for the study program into your own bank account in your name. Leave it in there for 4 to 6 months, then use that to show financial support

Ace2020

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
Thats the problem right? The visa officer knows the applicant do not have enough money, which does not meet the requirements of the study permit.

Transfer all the money you set aside for the study program into your own bank account in your name. Leave it in there for 4 to 6 months, then use that to show financial support
even though he has given a affidavit of support that his mother is going to fund for his studies and living expenses??

isnt it better to just add his name into his mother's bank account rather than transferring the funds? ( joint account so both of them can access the bank account)

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
The visa officer will also wonder why you need to travel halfway across the world to a no name school to study culinary, no offense to those in Humber.

If you are going to top culinary schools like Cordon Bleu or Culinary Institute of America, yeah that makes more sense.

The visa officer just don't see the cost benefits in the applicant going to Canada for that.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
even though he has given a affidavit of support that his mother is going to fund for his studies and living expenses??

isnt it better to just add his name into his mother's bank account rather than transferring the funds? ( joint account so both of them can access the bank account)
No. Why do you need the money in his mother's bank account when it is going to be used for his studies?

It is clear and obvious that he has not enough financial support and therefore does not meet the eligibility for a study permit.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
not studying culinary but food and nutrition management for 2 years
Same thing. The need to spend that much money on tuition fees, living costs, flights, travel is not justified.

Do a breakdown of the total cost: tuition, rent, food, travel expenses that you will incur,

After returning to your home country, how long and how much do you need to earn back the amount that you have spent?

Ace2020

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
No. Why do you need the money in his mother's bank account when it is going to be used for his studies?

It is clear and obvious that he has not enough financial support and therefore does not meet the eligibility for a study permit.
because his mother is the sponsor.

Reactions: ShaUCan

Ace2020

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
Same thing. The need to spend that much money on tuition fees, living costs, flights, travel is not justified.

Do a breakdown of the total cost: tuition, rent, food, travel expenses that you will incur,

After returning to your home country, how long and how much do you need to earn back the amount that you have spent?
his family can pay for tuition and living expenses