+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refusal, what now?

hollafame

Aug 6, 2018
Try to give complete answers to questions - when you say it doesn't work, what's the issue? You can't download it, you can't open it? Using what program? what file format is it (pdf or something else)?

If you can't read it, how do you know it's a refusal? What's the text that you can see?
Basically, it says "Refusal Letter" and when I click on it, it brings me to a dead link. I tried saving the link as a file but it says "Failed" so I am guessing they didn't upload the file properly because all the other documents and files work.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What is your evidence for this claim?
Just read the forum and there are plenty of examples. Many sponsored their spouse and indicated their intention to move to Canada once the spouse got approved. Many have their spouse do a short landing and get their PR card but never return or return many years later. Also only reason why it makes sense for IRCC to have slowly increased the proof required when it comes to intent to move. A few years ago a bit of proof that you were communicating with friends and family about your move and some job and housing searches and the sponsorship was approved. Now you need a concrete proof like giving notice at your current job and home (rental) or have put your home up for sale. We see many applications returned to provide more proof that they'll be returning.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Basically, it says "Refusal Letter" and when I click on it, it brings me to a dead link. I tried saving the link as a file but it says "Failed" so I am guessing they didn't upload the file properly because all the other documents and files work.
This link was in the email or in gckey?

It's possible this is some browser issue. Try from a different browser, a different computer, or other 'tricks' like clearing caches or using incognito mode. Quit and restart the browser. Restart the computer even sometimes clears caches.

Also possible that there is some temporary server issue.

If you received the notification that you had email on your gckey from an account that didn't say 'do not reply' in the address name and/or had an address that indicated it was from the visa office (eg singapore in the address), you could try responding and explain the technical issue.

But try the browser stuff above first.

Last edited:

pat40

Jan 21, 2020
Did you try Apple safari browser? I am saying this because I had same issue opening my CoPR letter 8 months ago.

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Do you know how I can do it in a speedy manner? I have called them non stop and I never get through to an agent. I filled out a webform which they say might take 28 days to get back to (and I have a 30 day window for an appeal). This is really frustrating and I feel powerless.

Thank you guys for the replies though.

Len
email their office directly. explain that their refusal letter file isnt opening and they will be responsible in case you miss your appeal deadline. you must document this by saving these emails. when u send a webform, you get no copy of it

hollafame

Aug 6, 2018
Did you try Apple safari browser? I am saying this because I had same issue opening my CoPR letter 8 months ago.
Wow man, you are a genius! It worked.

Ok, so as I suspected they rejected us based on the grounds that they were not satisfied on the grounds that I didn't show satisfactory intent on moving back home. I gave them a solid plan, conversations with my parents telling them that we are excited to come back, house search and quotations, job search back in Montreal, etc.

If they really want me to resign from my job, break my lease and risk being homeless before granting the PR then it makes no sense at all. I am even questioning if anybody would do it before actually getting the PR.

But I will definitely appeal this. Does anybody know how long and what costs are involved with appealing?

Regards,

Len

Reactions: Kiva667

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ok, so as I suspected they rejected us based on the grounds that they were not satisfied on the grounds that I didn't show satisfactory intent on moving back home. I gave them a solid plan, conversations with my parents telling them that we are excited to come back, house search and quotations, job search back in Montreal, etc.
This actually sounds pretty weak.

But I will definitely appeal this. Does anybody know how long and what costs are involved with appealing?
I strongly suggest you look into how the appeal process works and how long cases take before making any decisions. (Although since you only have 30 days (?) to decide to appeal, nothing wrong with filing the appeal while you decide, I believe you can withdraw it at any time).

This thread (long) has lots of appeal cases:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/all-spouse-appeal-cases-come-here-and-join-us-plz.87619/page-1132

You'll note very few of them go quickly.

And refer to the first posts in this thread where you asked: personal opinion only, but I think you are better served and it will go more quickly for you to move to Canada, forget about the appeal, and file for PR from within Canada.

The worst decision anyone can make, usually, is to decide to 'appeal' or 'go to court' because they think they're "right" and they're angry. It's a pure rational decision: which will get you the better result, more quickly, cheaper. (Most who are appealing are doing so because they have no other choice). The reason you're being told to just apply again (personal opinion) is that all indications are that appealing will take more time than starting over (in your case).

And a quick point about the appeal: even if you 'win' (which might take 6-12 months, and often longer), all that happens is they process your file starting all over again; you've 'won' that they won't turn it down for the same/previous reason, but you're still looking at ... yet another ~12 months or more. (Note I'm not an expert on this, but from what I've been able to understand about the process).

But up to you, it's your right of course.

Alexis1971

Feb 16, 2020
C
Many people never returned to Canada which is why now IRCC requires a lot of proof that you will be returning. Given that you were at the end of the process showing proof that you have given notice to your employer and given notice to your landlord/put your home up for sale isn’t as crazy of a suggestion as you are indicating.
How many have given up their jobs, home, kids school and now stuck because of Covid and expired COPR....its risky to give up job in this pandemic not knowing if Canada will allow you to travel.

LotusLeodis

Jul 23, 2020
This situation is what I worry about with our application.

We will be getting house valuations to prepare for sale and international mover quotes and engaging Canadian real estate agents shortly. I was going to apply for grad school, but applications aren't open yet. Most of them are online right now anyway, due to COVID, so not really strong evidence.

I hope it's enough, if we are asked. And I am not sure what their trigger is right now, for ADR with intent to return...